The field of entertainment journalism is constantly evolving, and any website that wants to hold its own has to be able to adapt to changing clickbait technologies. We’re all familiar with the technique of taking a single, innocuous comment by someone involved in a superhero movie production on social media and blowing it totally out of proportion. We also know well the technique of writing a news story about how an actual news story will happen sometime later, like a trailer for a trailer, or the revelation that a trailer will drop later in the week.
But what about combining those two techniques to make a brand new one? We asked a leading clickbaitologist if this was possible, and the answer will shock you!
“Actually, there was a major breakthrough in this area this weekend,” revealed Professor Thaddeus T. Puffinbottoms, a real person. “Click the slideshow to find out more.”
Clicking through Puffinbottoms’ slideshow, we were treated to seven of the most outrageously overblown headlines produced about an Instagram post by Ant-Man and the Wasp director Peyton Reed. “Marvel’s Ant-Man & The Wasp Director Teases Big News,” wrote CBR. “Peyton Reed Teases Ant Man & The Wasp News Coming Soon,” said ComicBook.com. “‘Ant-Man And The Wasp’ Director Peyton Reed Teases Upcoming News,” proclaimed Heroic Hollywood. “Ant-Man and the Wasp Director Teases Big News Coming Soon,” offered ScreenRant. Puffinbottoms explained that these websites had managed to harness the power of both of these clickbait methods and create a new super-clickbait more powerful than the sum of its parts.
Well, we don’t want to be left behind. So here’s the Instagram post in question, from Ant-Man and the Wasp director Peyton Reed, which teases huge news coming sometime in the future:
Stay tuned, indeed.
- Edgar Wright Won't See Ant-Man
- Ch-Ch-Changes: The Unsolicited Wasp
- Report: Warner Bros President Is Mythical New Comic Book Reader
- Film Industry Woes Solved After Man Arrested For Illegally Sharing Deadpool On Facebook
- Marvel To Plant 250,000 Trees, Won't Make Up For Ones That Died To Print Inhumans Vs. X-Men
- Supergirl's Katie McGrath Wants Bruce Willis For Lex Luthor As News Industry Cheers Major Breakthrough
- Rumor Predicts Actor From Show With 42 Person Main Cast Will Join Marvel's Inhumans
- The Top 5 Reasons Of All Time To Use Top 5 Lists (UPDATE)
- DCComics.com Writer Pens 1100 Word Batman: Damned Review Without Once Mentioning Batpenis - September 20, 2018
- Preview Brian Bendis and Nick Derington’s Batman 100-Page Giant #3 Story, (Maybe) In Your Walmart Soon - September 20, 2018
- Peter Parker Forgets the Lesson of Uncle Ben’s Death in Spectacular Spider-Man #310 Preview - September 20, 2018
- At the End of X-Men Blue, the X-Men Return to the Beginning (Preview) - September 20, 2018
- Punisher Tests Hydra’s “Cut Off One Head…” Slogan in Punisher #2 Preview - September 20, 2018