Microsoft has unveiled the Xbox Adaptive Controller, a new input method made alongside several charities and groups in an attempt to make gaming more accessible to those with difficulty using the standard controller.
Gaming is one of the biggest pastimes in the entire world. The space only seems to grow and grow year on year, with more people getting into the hobby than ever before. Of course, this includes those who aren’t physically able to hold a controller. While solutions exist, it set a much higher barrier for entry for some players.
Well, this is just a great little endeavour. Though word and pictures of the device made their way to the internet a few days ago, Xbox has announced the Xbox Adaptive Controller, designed to open gaming to those with disabilities. It was made in partnership with several charities including The AbleGamers Charity, The Cerebral Palsy Foundation, Craig Hospital, SpecialEffect, and Warfighter Engaged. You can see the controller in action in this introduction video, showing the versatility of the device:
It’s been announced the controller will cost $99.99 (no price reveal for anywhere else) and no date has been shared. More details are said to be coming at E3.
This is just a wonderful bit of design on Xbox’s part. We all know the joys that gaming can bring, so bringing it to more people and including them in the community is a huge achievement on Xbox’s part. The hope is that the rest of the industry will follow and soon enough, the barrier for entry into all games will be much, much lower.
- Stranger Things' Caleb McLaughlin Will Take the Xbox Game Pass Challenge on Sunday
- Knights Chronicle Scores 500k Pre-Registered Players
- No Man’s Sky NEXT Update Gets a Brand-New Trailer - July 17, 2018
- Crackdown 3 Won’t Be Delayed Again, Report States - July 17, 2018
- Nolan North Takes Over Cayde-6 Role from Nathan Fillion in Destiny 2: Forsaken - July 17, 2018
- ‘Pokémon: Let’s Go’ Games Get a New Trailer Showing off Gyms, Traversal, and Pokémon Haircuts - July 13, 2018
- Remnant: From the Ashes is the New Co-Op Shooter From the Darksiders 3 Developer - July 13, 2018