In the modern superhero comics landscape, it’s not easy for a comic to break the 100,000 issue sales barrier. Only a few titles come close on a regular basis, and even fewer if one factors out #1 issue reboots, super-mega-crossover events, incentive-variant-fueled ponzi schemes, or loot crate boosts. But Batman seems to have the magic touch, according to writer Tom King.
King posted on Twitter that he was congratulated by DC co-publisher Dan DiDio on the title selling more than 100,000 copies for 50 issues:
Got a call from DC co-publisher Dan Didio congratulating me that Batman sold over 100,000 for 50 issues! Mic drop! Now waiting for a call from DC co-publisher @JimLee telling me that X-Men #1 sold 7 million, so pick your damn mic off the floor and get back to work.
— Tom King (@TomKingTK) April 26, 2018
Well, that X-Men #1 is priced to sell in the 25 cent bin, so Batman’s accomplishment is still notable. It also raises some questions about existing sales estimates, as Comichron lists March’s Batman #42 as selling just under 94,000 copies and Batman #43 selling less than 92,000. In fact, one need travel back to the site’s October 2017 estimates to find an issue of Batman estimated to sell over 100,000 copies. Of course, those numbers are estimates based on Diamond’s sales rankings, and might exclude sales factored into Didio’s number (or might simply be incorrect — the industry does not release actual sales numbers).
In any case, we’re inclined to believe DC knows what they’re talking about here, so congrats to everyone who’s worked on Batman over the past 50 issues. Did they all receive personal calls from Dan the Man? At the very least, we’re betting they all got their comps.
- WWE’s Peyton Royce to Body-Shaming Dave Meltzer: “What Would You Have Me Do… Starve Myself?” - August 15, 2018
- Not a Single Foot Has Appeared on an Uncanny X-Men Relaunch Cover… The ’90s Are Back, Baby! - August 15, 2018
- Jason Howard Pays Tribute to Todd McFarlane with Cemetery Beach #1 Impact Variant - August 15, 2018
- Marvel Reveals Leinil Yu and Edgar Delgado’s Cover to Uncanny X-Men #2, Plus More Details - August 15, 2018
- Marvel to Celebrate 80th Birthday with ‘Decades’ Best-of Collections - August 15, 2018