When Marvel debuted their new slogan during the Diamond Retailer Summit at C2E2 Thursday, a lot of folks were taken aback by what seemed like an outdated tagline more suited to a greeting card than to the largest American superhero comics publisher.
Or, as Graeme McMillan put it…
Nothing says "We're not embarrassed to be in the comics business" like the editor in chief of a comic company saying that the making and selling of comics is REALLY about making memories.
— Graeme (@graemem) April 5, 2018
And sure, “selling comics, making memories” isn’t the greatest slogan. It’s not even the greatest Marvel slogan. But we think you’ll agree that, given their other options, it was probably the best choice available.
In order to bring the best in comic book news to our discerning readers, Bleeding Cool dispatched multiple unpaid interns to the offices of Marvel comics last night, asking them to dig through the trash cans of Marvel Vice President David “The Real Editor-in-Chief” Gabriel and return with any artifacts from Marvel’s most recent creative summit. We were shocked when some of these interns returned with incredible information. The rest were killed in action. RIP.
But their sacrifice wasn’t in vain, because, thanks to their brave and unpaid efforts, Bleeding Cool is able to present to you the top ten rejected marvel slogans before they settled on “selling comics, making memories.”
So what do you think? Did Marvel make the right choice? Do you have any ideas of your own for a slogan? Let us know in the comments!
- Of Course Reed Richards is to Blame… Next Week’s Marvel Knights 20th #4 - December 15, 2018
- Somebody Needs a Snickers in Next Week’s Iceman #4 - December 15, 2018
- Kate Bishop Refuses to Die in Canada in Next Week’s Old Man Hawkeye Finale - December 15, 2018
- Archangel’s Loyalty Tested in Next Week’s Uncanny X-Men #6 - December 15, 2018
- Is Rocking a Mullet a Reason to Kill a Man? Next Week’s Domino #9 - December 15, 2018