Rare has responded to concerns over a possible lack of long-term content in Sea of Thieves, saying that new gameplay and cosmetic items are coming to freshen the experience over time.
I’ve very much been enjoying my time with Sea of Thieves. The game is beautiful and has some unique ideas and focuses that make it a really fun sandbox to splash around in. That being said, there certainly are questions about the long-term nature of the title. The game’s progress is based on repetitive loops and with little interaction with the world past its vendors, concerns have been rising about the amount of content in the game. This was only compounded by the developer recently saying there is no planned roadmap for the game just yet.
Well, Rare have taken their time to say they are already listening to concerns and that there is indeed more content on the horizon. Responding to an IGN article about fan concerns, Executive Producer Joe Neate explained that there will be more cosmetics and meaningful ways to change up your play coming pretty soon. In a statement, he said:
Sea of Thieves is designed from the ground up to be a game that grows and evolves, and we will release new cosmetic options ongoing as part of that, alongside new mechanics and ways to play. Our focus for launch is on delivering a great initial experience, and as we move beyond launch we will be assessing and reacting to player feedback across all areas of the game.
These concerns are certainly flying around, as a look at the game’s Reddit will confirm for you. While it is full of people enjoying the game, there certainly is growing dissent too. Personally, this reminds me of the debate that surrounded the launch of the original Destiny. Complaints about having seen it all early and the repetitiveness all plagued that game’s early release. Then, over the course of a few years, it morphed into one of the biggest franchises of the last 10 years. Sea of Thieves almost certainly can get there too with dedication from the developers. I hope it does, as the core is delightful.
- Sea Of Thieves Kills the Death Cost Plans After Fan Outrage
- Twitch Streamers are Making Guides to Sea Of Thieves
- Sea Of Thieves Will be Taxing You When You Die
- ‘Pokémon: Let’s Go’ Games Get a New Trailer Showing off Gyms, Traversal, and Pokémon Haircuts - July 13, 2018
- Remnant: From the Ashes is the New Co-Op Shooter From the Darksiders 3 Developer - July 13, 2018
- The Witcher Series Will Get Another Game, but It Won’t Be The Witcher 4 - July 12, 2018
- Doom Eternal Will See Its Gameplay Reveal Next Month - July 12, 2018
- Check Out Over 10 Minutes of Darksiders 3 Gameplay - July 12, 2018