A fan campaign has started to try and see comics legend Jack Kirby honoured on the centenary of his birth with a Google Doodle for the day, this August 28th.
Jack Kirby was of course instrumental in the creation of numerous Marvel characters, including Captain America, the Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor and the X-Men, who have gone on to entertain wider audiences in TV, films and animation.
His distinct visual style informed the work of dozens of creators over the decades, and his influence is felt to this very day, so it makes sense to honour the creator at the mark of 100 years since he came into the world.
To draw attention to the idea and hope that Google take heed, the fan campaign suggests e-mailing email@example.com with the subject headline Google Doodle for Jack Kirby – August 28th 2017. Inside, you can list your reasons for why you believe Jack Kirby should be honoured in this way, and you can also spread the word on social media with the hashtag #doodleforjack.
Kirby would of course not see much of the money and credit that he deserved at Marvel in his lifetime, and would move onto their main competitors DC, where he continued his incredible work and use his fertile imagination to create the New Gods, OMAC, Kamandi and of course, the arch-villain of the DC Universe, Darkseid.
This would be just one small way we can see the incredible artist and creator honoured for his lifelong work and the wonder he helped bring to millions of fans and creators the world over for the many decades since he brought his artistry to comics.
- The Character Assassination of Beast Continues
- Donny Cates, Jack Kirby And Grant Morrison - The Biggest Bargains In The Heavy Metal Magazine Sale, Ending in 24 Hours
- Jack Kirby To Be Made A Disney Legend At D23 Ahead Of What Would Have Been His 100th Birthday
- Fantastic Four #52 CGC 9.4 Sets Record: Collectors Just Made A Big Bet On Black Panther
- Stan Lee To Cameo On Kirby Homage Secret Empire Variant From Marvel For New Comic Subscription Box