If you’ve been following Bleeding Cool’s wrestling coverage over the past few weeks, you’re well versed in the ongoing legal dispute between TNA Wrestling and wrestlers Matt and Jeff Hardy over the trademark to the “BROKEN” gimmick that served as one of TNA’s few bright spots in a dismal year that saw them almost taken over by Billy Corgan before being bought out by Anthem Sports & Entertainment and shedding many of their top stars. The feud began when TNA sent a cease and desist letter to Ring of Honor, the Hardys, and various cable providers ahead of ROH’s 15th Anniversary PPV, where the ROH Tag Team Champions were set to compete in a triple threat match. The cease and desist letters reportedly caused Dish Network to drop the PPV, and cause the match to be rewritten to avoid referring to the BROKEN gimmick.
Following that event, the battle moved to Twitter, largely on the account of Matt Hardy’s wife, Reby Hardy, who has delivered several long rants attacking TNA. Now, the war has moved into the realm of wrestling kayfabe, as The Hardys released a video this week showing them dunking the TNA Tag Team Championship belts, which they apparently still have despite leaving the organization, into a lake on the Hardy compound and having them “reincarnated” as new BROKEN championships tailored to each Hardy. In addition to the obvious shots at TNA and Anthem, including a “Fuck That Owl” screen flash during the video, the video also serves as Matt Hardy laying further claim to the BROKEN gimmick, which he has registered with the U.S. Trademark Office.
The Hardys will compete at Ring of Honor’s Supercard of Honor show on Saturday night, defending their ROH Tag Team championships against The Bucks of Youth in a ladder match. It’s unknown whether the new BROKEN titles could make an appearance, or whether the Hardys will flaunt the BROKEN gimmick at the PPV. Additionally, it’s widely speculated that, following that event, the Hardys could return to WWE as soon as the night after Wrestlemania, or even at the event itself, where the Raw Tag Team Championships are being defended in a triple threat ladder match.
Check out the video below:
- Matt Hardy Broken Battle Not Done As Impact Wrestling Files Trademark Claim
- Is Matt Hardy Teasing The Return Of The Broken Gimmick?
- Chase And Old Lace Get Runaways Teasers From Marvel - May 24, 2017
- Martin Dunn On Launching Punkhouse Press, Disrupting Diamond, Punching Nazis, And Making Comics Punk Again - May 24, 2017
- AT&T CEO Wants To Cut Game Of Thrones Episodes To Twenty Minutes So They Stream Better After Time Warner Purchase - May 24, 2017
- Will “It” Director Andy Muschietti Replace Doug Liman On Justice League Dark/Dark Universe? - May 24, 2017
- Tom Cruise Confirms Top Gun 2, Says Filming Will Probably Start This Year - May 24, 2017