After years of people asking, Nintendo finally went big into the mobile market this year. Miitomo was big (briefly) and the app they help support, Pokemon Go, is one of the biggest on the platform, ever.
That’s why it isn’t surprsing that Sony want in on the action. We heard something similar earlier this year which said the company was actively looking to get into the space, but now Nikkei have posted a report saying it will happen. (Nikkei have an excellent track record on the Japanese game business.)
It’s said that the mobile games will be based off of popular PlayStation franchises and will be announced by the end of this year. There were no more specifics than that other than there might be interplay between apps and console games.
The mobile market almost certainly could prove fruitful for a company like Sony, and if they can find compelling apps, I’ll happily play with them. I’m keeping an eye on this.
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake is Still in Full Development Despite Not Being at E3 - June 15, 2018
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Announced and it Brings Every Fighter Ever from the Series to the Game - June 12, 2018
- Super Mario Party Makes its Debut on the Nintendo Switch This Year - June 12, 2018
- Death Stranding E3 Trailer Shows Off Our First Glimpse of Gameplay - June 11, 2018
- Trials Rising Brings the Motorcycle Title Back for More Stunts Than Ever - June 11, 2018