In September, DC Comics took back marketshare from Marvel Comics. This gave DC the lead in both dollars spent and the number of comics bought in the North American direct market. And October and November only consolidated that position as market leader.
In December, however, Marvel seem to have clawed some of that back. They still don’t have the lead they enjoyed earlier in the year, but it’s a sign of the market normalising slightly. It’s also a sign of Marvel pushing out product for all five weeks of December, while DC let the fifth week go with hardly any comics out at all. Marvel started to close the gap in November, this allowed them to completely close it.
Marvel rose from 33.3% to 34.43% of dollars spent in December 2011, while DC fell from 34.69% to 33.74%.
And for the number of comics bought, Marvel led again increasing from 37.94% to 39.05% against DC falling from 39.66% to 37.72%.
This seems to be following Bleeding Cool’s earlier analysis, of the market settling down with Marvel still in the lead, but enjoying much less marketshare than they used to, with a far healthier DC Comics in second place – and sales overall being up on a year ago.
|IDEA & DESIGN WORKS LLC||5.26%||4.43%|
|DARK HORSE COMICS||3.97%||3.34%|
|EAGLEMOSS PUBLICATIONS LTD||1.63%||0.37%|
|ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS||0.82%||0.98%|
|AVATAR PRESS INC||0.70%||0.56%|
|ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC||0.69%||0.59%|
|HACHETTE BOOK GROUP USA||0.35%||0.10%|
|ASPEN MLT INC||0.30%||0.43%|
|ONI PRESS INC.||0.28%||0.09%|
|ARCHAIA ENTERTAINMENT LLC||0.27%||0.08%|
|OTHER NON-TOP 10||3.25%||1.59%|
- Marvel Comics Trademarks “Spirits Of Vengeance” – A New Ghost Rider Title? - May 25, 2017
- For Those Who Need It, A Happy Ending For Rogue One, On Star Wars’ 40th Anniversary - May 25, 2017
- Wytches Sequel By Scott Snyder And Jock To Be Serialised In Image + Vol 2, From August - May 25, 2017
- Dark Nights: Metal To Get Exclusive Retailer Variants - May 25, 2017
- Redneck #1 Goes To Third Printing, Girl Scouts #1 Redneck #2 And Plastic #2 Go To Second Prints - May 25, 2017