In September, DC Comics took back marketshare from Marvel Comics. This gave DC the lead in both dollars spent and the number of comics bought in the North American direct market. And October and November only consolidated that position as market leader.
In December, however, Marvel seem to have clawed some of that back. They still don’t have the lead they enjoyed earlier in the year, but it’s a sign of the market normalising slightly. It’s also a sign of Marvel pushing out product for all five weeks of December, while DC let the fifth week go with hardly any comics out at all. Marvel started to close the gap in November, this allowed them to completely close it.
Marvel rose from 33.3% to 34.43% of dollars spent in December 2011, while DC fell from 34.69% to 33.74%.
And for the number of comics bought, Marvel led again increasing from 37.94% to 39.05% against DC falling from 39.66% to 37.72%.
This seems to be following Bleeding Cool’s earlier analysis, of the market settling down with Marvel still in the lead, but enjoying much less marketshare than they used to, with a far healthier DC Comics in second place – and sales overall being up on a year ago.
|IDEA & DESIGN WORKS LLC||5.26%||4.43%|
|DARK HORSE COMICS||3.97%||3.34%|
|EAGLEMOSS PUBLICATIONS LTD||1.63%||0.37%|
|ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS||0.82%||0.98%|
|AVATAR PRESS INC||0.70%||0.56%|
|ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC||0.69%||0.59%|
|HACHETTE BOOK GROUP USA||0.35%||0.10%|
|ASPEN MLT INC||0.30%||0.43%|
|ONI PRESS INC.||0.28%||0.09%|
|ARCHAIA ENTERTAINMENT LLC||0.27%||0.08%|
|OTHER NON-TOP 10||3.25%||1.59%|
- Dennis Barger Suffers Mild Heart Attack; Well Wishes from All at Bleeding Cool - December 17, 2017
- The Comic Shop that Helped Inspire a Book Store - December 17, 2017
- Marvel Comics Vs. Monster Energy Trial Delayed a Month, Will Stretch into 2019 - December 17, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List -17th December 2017 – Mister Miracle Beats Out Batman - December 17, 2017
- Steven T. Seagle Wants 19 International Artists to Get Naked - December 17, 2017