In the UK, there have been a number of comics published by Panini/Marvel UK featuring Marvel superheroes aimed at kids, young kids even, distrubuted in newsagents and supermarkets. Indeed, the work created for that market was then translated and redistributed across Europe and South America.
Disney recently seized the creative control of that work, with an eye to creating that kind of material for the US newstand market first, which will then be licensed for other territories. And Janelle Asselin was headhunted from DC to make that happen.
The first sign of that is Marvel Super Hero Squad, replacing Spider-Man And Friends in the UK. Disney-created original Marvel superhero stories for the young uns. And sold EVERYWHERE.
And UK creators feeling abandoned by the changes? Someone new for you to submit work to… you have the experience after all!
And naturally, all this newstand-focussed work is happening well away from the eye of one Isaac Perlmutter.
- Two TV Commercials From DC Comics For the New Age of Heroes Line - January 17, 2018
- For Those of You Still Reading Generation X… Something Special For Jubilee (#86 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Brian Wood and Jorge Coelho’s Robocop: Citizens Arrest Looks to Explore Social Justice - January 17, 2018
- Ludocrats from Kieron Gillen, David Lafuente, and Jim Rossignol is Coming Soon, Honest - January 17, 2018
- Now Glénat to Publish Conan Comics, as It’s All Public Domain in Europe - January 17, 2018