When you see the number of characters and amount of detail in this Uncanny X-Men #1 variant, you might be tempted to believe Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada actually took some time out of his busy Twitter schedule to draw a cover for the upcoming relaunch. As it turns out, Joe, a smart, forward-looking man, realized how busy he would be tweeting and actually drew this cover back in the mid-nineties as promo art. Now, it’s been recycled as one of Marvel’s Hidden Gem variants, and social media has not had to suffer the lack of Joe Quesada’s posts for any extended period of time so he can do actual work for his actual job. Phew! Also, thankfully, we’re currently in a 90s nostalgia-driven phase of publishing for the X-books, so everything worked out perfectly. And unlike Dave Cockrum’s variant, no poor Marvel intern had to photoshop out a beer can (think of the children!!!). It’s an all-around win.
From the press release:
This November, UNCANNY X-MEN returns with a new ongoing series, bringing together nearly every mutant left on earth in a story that threatens to destroy them. It’s an epic tale of mystery and tragic disappearance, with an adventure so earth-shattering, it could very well be the X-Men’s FINAL mission!
In celebration of the much-anticipated launch of UNCANNY X-MEN #1, Marvel is excited to reveal a new Hidden Gem variant cover from very own Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada, with colors by Richard Isanove!
Don’t miss UNCANNY X-MEN #1, coming this November to local comic shops – X-MEN DISASSEMBLED will have fans talking for years to come!
Check out the variant below.
UNCANNY X-MEN #1 (SEP180791)
Written by KELLY THOMPSON, ED BRISSON and MATTHEW ROSENBERG
Art by MAHMUD ASRAR, MARK BAGLEY and MIRKO COLAK
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
UNCANNY X-MEN #1 QUESADA HIDDEN GEM VAR (SEP180798)
On Sale 11/14/18
- Marvel to Make Spider-Man Comic Based on Video Game Based on Comic - December 17, 2018
- J. Jonah Jameson, This is Your Life! Next Week’s Amazing Spider-Man #12 - December 16, 2018
- Clone Drone Problems in Next Week’s Life of Captain Marvel #3 - December 16, 2018
- Where’s the Other Side of the Climate Change Debate in Next Week’s Defenders: The Best Defense? - December 16, 2018
- Experience Baba Von Doom’s Thrice-Baked Potatoes in Next Week’s Runaways #16 - December 16, 2018