This week, the long-and-thick-awaited reveal of Batman’s penis in Batman Damned #1 had the comic book world standing at attention, but it looks the initial arousal of public interest will lead to a refractory period of no longer seeing Batman’s junk in a comic for the foreseeable future. Bleeding Cool reported yesterday that copies of Batman Damned #1 were being censored on digital comics platforms in order to protect the innocent eyes of the aging comic book readership who purchased the Mature-rated, 18+ title.
But CBR, when reporting on the same story, obtained a confirmation from DC Comics that not only was the Batpenis removed from digital versions, but it will be removed from all future printings as well. Additionally, DC gave a reason for the self-censorship, claiming that despite the fact that the Batpenis garnered more attention than DC has had in decades and may change the landscape of the medium forever, it just “was not additive to the story.” This prompted CBR reporter Steve Morris to wonder:
I wonder if Harley Quinn being topless in White Knight will still be considered additive to the story pic.twitter.com/gtwAe2fxhl
— Thought Bunny 2018 (@stevewmorris) September 20, 2018
That’s a good question. Perhaps one that can be explored in a future clickbait article about Batman’s penis before interest and search traffic for the topic becomes soft.
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018
- Does Logan Make a Promise He Can’t Keep in Return of Wolverine #2? (Preview) - October 19, 2018
- Skottie Young Plays the High-Stakes Game of Footsie with Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant - October 19, 2018
- Adventure Time Lives On Comic Form in First Look at Season 11 #2 - October 18, 2018