It seems like Marvel abides by a rule where none of its characters are allowed to be over the age of “late twenties-ish,” so the company might be facing a bit of an identity crisis as it grapples with turning 80 years old next year. Luckily, when you are the subsidiary of a global entertainment conglomerate with a stranglehold on U.S. copyright law, 80 years is a mere drop in the bucket, and there are sure to be many more decades of valuable intellectual property generation to come.
But we’ve gotten off track, as we oft do. In any case, Marvel is celebrating their birthday starting in January 2019 with an eight-volume series, each volume focused on a decade in Marvel’s history, from the 1940s to the 2010s.
In a press release, Marvel Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski said:
After almost 80 years, our fans have continued to embrace Marvel’s characters as their own, following their adventures through decades of thrilling stories. To honor and celebrate this legacy, we can’t wait to share some new and exciting projects for the world to experience the history of the Marvel Universe – through comic books, video games, toys, blockbuster films, television shows and more.
And the press release notes:
In addition to getting access to some of Marvel’s most classic comics, each DECADES collection will also include a decade-by-decade commentary chronicling the evolution of the Marvel Universe and the world that inspired it. More DECADES collections will be announced at a later date.
Here’s the titles of the first four volumes:
DECADES: MARVEL IN THE ’40S – THE HUMAN TORCH VS. THE SUB-MARINER TPB
DECADES: MARVEL IN THE ’50S – CAPTAIN AMERICA STRIKES! TPB
DECADES: MARVEL IN THE ’60S – SPIDER-MAN MEETS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE TPB
DECADES: MARVEL IN THE ’70S – LEGION OF MONSTERS TPB
Which decade are you looking forward to most?
- New Comic Publisher TKO Launches With Big Name Creators and Revolutionary Ambitions - December 10, 2018
- Barnes & Noble Gets a Retailer-Exclusive Edition of Mister Miracle - December 10, 2018
- Cyclops Goes Old School in #XMenMonday Sneak Peeks - December 10, 2018
- Another Year of Rick and Morty Presents One-Shots on the Way from Oni Press - December 10, 2018
- Best-Selling Author Gaby Dunn Makes Comics Debut with Claire Roe in Bury the Lede OGN - December 10, 2018