AfterShock has announced a new comic book from the creative team of Peter Calloway, Alex Shibao, Natalia Marques, and Marshall Dillion, hitting stores this October. The comic is called The Last Space Race, and it envisions a world where one eccentric tech billionaire spearheads an effort to… okay, fine, it’s basically Elon Musk: The Comic.
Calloway explains the premise in a press release:
A massive object — the size of Manhattan — enters the solar system. It isn’t a threat, going to harmlessly sail in and out near orbit of Saturn. But then the mysteries begin to pile up. Its trajectory isn’t affected [sic] by Saturn. Its infrared signature is brighter than it should be. When Hubble is turned toward it to get a high-resolution picture, the truth comes out. It is a massive alien space ship. But, oddly, it’s not responding to any hails. Who built it? Why is it here? What does it want? And perhaps most importantly: how many technological secrets can be learned by the first ones that get there.
The Last Space Race #1 hits stores on October 9th. Check out the solicit below:
THE LAST SPACE RACE #1
$3.99 / 32 pages / color / on sale 10.09.18
Writer: Peter Calloway
Artist: Alex Shibao
Colorist: Natalia Marques
Letterer: Marshall Dillon
Cover A: Alex Shibao w/ Natalia Marques
Cover B: Juan Doe
It started as an anomaly. An outlier in the noise that’s so common in astronomical data. But the truth sends the United States—and the world—careening into what will become humanity’s LAST SPACE RACE.
Leading the effort for the United States is one man, Sasha Balodis. A fun-loving tech billionaire turned aerospace titan, Sasha’s seemingly perfect life has been gripped by recent tragedy. Building and launching the most expensive, most ambitious and most important project in history—well, it gives him something to live for again.
There’s only one thing standing in his way: his arch-rival and chief aerospace competitor, Roger Freeman.
Written by Peter Calloway (TV’s Legion, Cloak & Dagger, Under the Dome) and drawn by Alex Shibao (Independence Day), THE LAST SPACE RACE is an imaginative investigation into wonder, hope and humanity’s grandest purpose—a truly original story AfterShock couldn’t be more fired up to tell.
- ComiXology Debuts 2nd Wave of Originals from Humphries, Firmansyah, Seeley, Norton, Kearney, Nicholson, Visaggio, Vaughn, Sable, Donaldson, Trotman, Reed, Doolin, McDonald, and Crook - July 18, 2018
- Oni to Publish New Scott Pilgrim Collections for 15th Anniversary - July 18, 2018
- Dark Horse Announces New Comic Based on Tom Clancy’s The Division, Plus a Coffee Table Book - July 18, 2018
- Did Marvel Just Tease the Return of Uncanny X-Men? - July 18, 2018
- Titan Offers First Look at V.E. Schwab’s Shades of Magic: The Steel Prince Prequel Comic - July 18, 2018