When Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada isn’t busy Creative Officering, focusing more on publishing during the Editor-in-Chief transition, or taking “joint creative custody” of books, he occasionally draws a variant cover or two. The latest comic to be graced by a Quesada cover is Fantastic Four #1, due out on August 8th, exactly 57 years after the debut of the original Fantastic Four #1. What’s old is new again, after all, is basically Marvel’s motto.
This time, Quesada’s variant is a “Hidden Gem,” meaning it is “never before seen as a cover.” Anyone recognize where it originally came from?
[Update: Commenter Bruno Billion identified the artwork as being from the Hasbro 2010 SDCC San Diego Comic Con Exclusive Marvel Universe 19" Galactus Ultra Action Figure.]
The variant was revealed earlier today, but this is our first look at it. Check out the variant below, featuring the world-devouring Galactus, and head to your local comic shop in August to pick up Fantastic Four #1, which is returning from a long hiatus dictated by Marvel Chairman and Donald Trump advisor Ike Perlmutter as part of a vendetta against Fox for owning the Fantastic Four movie rights.
FANTASTIC FOUR #1 (JUN180762)
Written by DAN SLOTT
Art by SARA PICHELLI
Covers by ESAD RIBIC
On Sale 8/8/18
- Of Course Reed Richards is to Blame… Next Week’s Marvel Knights 20th #4 - December 15, 2018
- Somebody Needs a Snickers in Next Week’s Iceman #4 - December 15, 2018
- Kate Bishop Refuses to Die in Canada in Next Week’s Old Man Hawkeye Finale - December 15, 2018
- Archangel’s Loyalty Tested in Next Week’s Uncanny X-Men #6 - December 15, 2018
- Is Rocking a Mullet a Reason to Kill a Man? Next Week’s Domino #9 - December 15, 2018