Dark Horse Comics has announced plans to collect Donny Cates, Eliot Rahal, and Geoff Shaw‘s superhero parody comic about the titular band of superhero repo persons, The Paybacks, this summer.
Dark Horse published the first volume back in 2015 before it moved Heavy Metal in 2016. Now, both volumes will be collected in a single 224-page paperback called The Paybacks Collection, just in time to capitalize on Cates’ superstar status at Marvel and the success of Cates and Shaw’s Thanos run at that publisher, potentially exposing the work to a new audience.
From the press release, here’s what The Paybacks is all about:
When superheroes borrow money to finance their genetic enhancements or crime-fighting supercomputers, their debts make student loans look like I.O.U.’s! Enter the Paybacks, a repo squad composed of bankrupt former heroes here to foreclose on everybody’s secret lairs! Join writers Eliot Rahal (Quantum & Woody, Cult Classic) and Donny Cates (Thanos, Doctor Strange, Venom, Buzzkill, God Country), with stunning art by Geoff Shaw (Buzzkill, God Country), in this superhero parody that explores the idea that heroism doesn’t come cheap.
The Paybacks Collection is in stores on August 1st.
- X-Man Argues for Civility in Politics in Next Week’s Uncanny X-Men #5 - December 10, 2018
- X-Men, or X-Millennials? Plus: The Triumphant Return of Chris Claremont [X-ual Healing 12-5-18] - December 9, 2018
- Honey Badger Shuts Down Male Aggression in Next Week’s X-23 #7 - December 9, 2018
- Startling Facts About Fish Pee Revealed in Next Week’s Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #39 - December 9, 2018
- Proxima Midnight’s Tips for a Happy and Healthy Sex Life in Next Week’s Black Order #2 - December 9, 2018