The 20th Century FOX presentation at CinemaCon 2018 has come and gone, dropping some mutant bombshells and showing the audience the brand-new Dark Phoenix logo.
We’re waiting for an official art release, but you can see a grainy photo here.
Most notably, it looks like the X-Men: Apocalypse followup has dropped the “X-Men” from the title, which all the main story X-Men films at FOX have had since the first one released 18 years ago in 2000.
Also, to me personally, it looks more like a recycled The X-Files logo from back in 1998 when that first film came out (also from FOX).
Dark Phoenix is of course based on the classic X-Men comic storyline by Chris Claremont, and follows the aftermath of Jean Grey (played by Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner) being inhabited by the all-powerful celestial energy known as the Phoenix Force. (I’m REALLY hoping for some Hellfire Club and Jason Wyndgaard/Mastermind action, personally.)
The film is directed by long-time X-Men franchise collaborator Simon Kinberg, who normally produces these pictures, making Dark Phoenix his very first directorial credit. No telling if this will be a good thing, seeing as how he knows the characters (at least in their current cinematic form) better than pretty much anyone other than the actors.
Pushed back from an original release date in November of 2018, Dark Phoenix will hit theaters on Valentine’s Day next year, February 14th, 2019. This could be an interesting tell — we’ve already heard star Tye Sheridan (Ready Player One), who plays Cyclops in this film, say it will be much more of a love story between Scott and Jean than the previous mutant movies.
There was little-to-no talk of actual plot for Dark Phoenix or New Mutants, which are possibly some of the very last X-Men films we’ll see under FOX if this Disney purchase goes through.
And it appears that once again: Gambit has gone poof from any/all announced slates.
Dark Phoenix hits theaters on February 14th, 2019.
- 'Dark Phoenix' is NOT Undergoing 3 Months of Reshoots
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Friday, April 27
- The Toys That made Us Returns To Netflix May 25th With Transformers, LEGO, and More!
- Kevin Feige 'Hoovering Up' Deadpool, Fantastic Four and X-Men for Marvel's Phase 4? Dark Phoenix, the Last Fox X-Men Movie?
- Masters of Marvel: Spotlight on Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson
- RUMOR: Gambit Has a New Start Date but No Director (Yet)
- FOX Film Shuffle – X-Men: Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants Delayed Again
- IDW Announce Better Terms For Comic Book Retailers - And An Artifact Edition of X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
- Fox Hires Tim Miller and Brian Michael Bendis for Mysterious X-Men Project '143'
- Chris Claremont Compares X-Men: Dark Phoenix to Casino Royale
- [SPOILER] Confirms She Isn't Returning for X-Men: Dark Phoenix
- Evan Peters Says Hans Zimmer Will Score Dark Phoenix
- Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’ Showrunner Responds to Script Leak - August 20, 2018
- Emmy Nominee Ann Dowd Talks Aunt Lydia from ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ - August 20, 2018
- Netflix Renews Emmy-Nominated Series ‘GLOW’ for Season 3 - August 20, 2018
- ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Details Revealed - August 20, 2018
- Chris Hemsworth Talks Life, Family, and the “Meh” ‘Thor: The Dark World’ - August 20, 2018