Fortnite probably isn’t going to be expanding its map pool for some time as lead designer Eric Williamson has said that the team is putting its priorities elsewhere in development.
The map in Fortnite is well and truly established at this point. Much like Erangel in PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, it has become such a staple for so long that it is now synonymous with the game. Tilted Towers is always going to be a spicy drop, while Moisty Mire is one of the more reliably quiet. These town names are all part of the nomenclature of the game, with the map now ingrained in player’s heads.
However, competitor PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is now moving onto its third map, while Fortnite has not made any moves past updating the current layout. It seems that might be the case for a little while longer too. Speaking on IGN’s Expert Mode show (via PCGamesN), lead designer Eric Williamson has said that while a new map has been talked about, the team is currently more focused on working on the current one. He said:
There’s no urgency to create a new map right now, it’s not something we’re getting a sense of urgency for. It’s not a priority right now.
Continuing to evolve and make the [current] map feel fresh is something we are very excited and interested about.
It’s interesting to see Fortnite fall back onto just the one map goal, but there is no reason it couldn’t work. Dota 2 only ever had one map and it continues to change and evolve. Will the player base at some point want something completely new? We will have to see on that one.
- Ashland University Now Offering Fortnite Esports Scholarships
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Next Map is Getting a Cave Network
- Epic Games Pretty Much Confirms Fortnite is Coming to China
- 50 vs. 50 Will Be Returning to Fortnite For a Limited Time
- More Comets Coming in Fortnite to Destroy the Island's Locations
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Adding a New Armored Vehicle for Event
- Battlefield 1943 is Available on Xbox One by Way of Backwards Compatibility - May 25, 2018
- God of War has Supassed 5 Million Copies Sold - May 25, 2018
- Brigitte Is a Breath of Fresh Air for the Overwatch League – Even When She’s Not Played - May 24, 2018
- Mads Mikkelsen Says Death Stranding Needs Collaboration from People All Around the World - May 24, 2018
- Banner Saga 2 is Coming to the Nintendo Switch in June - May 24, 2018