At the Diamond Retail Summit held on Thursday in Chicago, Marvel EIC C.B. Cebulski presented a new scheme that, for certain launches, will let retailers delay payment to Diamond and Marvel, helping retailer cashflow. On Friday, Bleeding Cool reported the specific details: this will apply to retailers who hit the highest discount mark on ordering a title, based on previous orders. So you can get the deal — but you have to order a lot.
To demonstrate, here are some recent deals on upcoming Marvel Fresh Start relaunches, as well as the amount retailers need to order to get that highest discount level. These levels sometimes change after initial solicitation, but this is where they currently stand.
- Tony Stark Iron Man #1, meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Invincible Iron Man #599
- Deadpool #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Despicable Deadpool #298
- Thor #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Mighty Thor #704
- Immortal Hulk #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Avengers #684
- Doctor Strange #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Doctor Strange #388
- Avengers #1 meet or exceed 350% of your total orders of Avengers #680
- Avengers #2 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Avengers #680
- Black Panther #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Black Panther #172
- Venom #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Amazing Spider-Man Venom Inc Omega #1
- Amazing Spider-Man #800 meet or exceed 175% of your total orders of Amazing Spider-Man #796
It’s under these conditions that the delayed/extended billing will apply for Fantastic Four #1 and Captain America #1. There will also be variant covers that will be able to be accessed by retailers who hit these order levels, to help increase their orders even more. Cebulski has said he’s not a fan of tiered variant covers, but that this is out of his control. However, thanks to retailer input, the requirement levels have been lowered somewhat.
- The Daily LITG – 16th November 2018 – Self Made Heroes - November 16, 2018
- Marvel Cancels All Of Star Wars: Shadow Of Vader by Chuck Wendig - November 15, 2018
- Fantastic Four #6 Jumps to a 60 Page Story – and Two Dollars More - November 15, 2018
- Stan Lee Tribute to Run on Marvel Comics Covers in December and January - November 15, 2018
- Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto Relaunch Daredevil #1 in February - November 15, 2018