At the Diamond Retail Summit held on Thursday in Chicago, Marvel EIC C.B. Cebulski presented a new scheme that, for certain launches, will let retailers delay payment to Diamond and Marvel, helping retailer cashflow. On Friday, Bleeding Cool reported the specific details: this will apply to retailers who hit the highest discount mark on ordering a title, based on previous orders. So you can get the deal — but you have to order a lot.
To demonstrate, here are some recent deals on upcoming Marvel Fresh Start relaunches, as well as the amount retailers need to order to get that highest discount level. These levels sometimes change after initial solicitation, but this is where they currently stand.
- Tony Stark Iron Man #1, meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Invincible Iron Man #599
- Deadpool #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Despicable Deadpool #298
- Thor #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Mighty Thor #704
- Immortal Hulk #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Avengers #684
- Doctor Strange #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Doctor Strange #388
- Avengers #1 meet or exceed 350% of your total orders of Avengers #680
- Avengers #2 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Avengers #680
- Black Panther #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Black Panther #172
- Venom #1 meet or exceed 250% of your total orders of Amazing Spider-Man Venom Inc Omega #1
- Amazing Spider-Man #800 meet or exceed 175% of your total orders of Amazing Spider-Man #796
It’s under these conditions that the delayed/extended billing will apply for Fantastic Four #1 and Captain America #1. There will also be variant covers that will be able to be accessed by retailers who hit these order levels, to help increase their orders even more. Cebulski has said he’s not a fan of tiered variant covers, but that this is out of his control. However, thanks to retailer input, the requirement levels have been lowered somewhat.
- Amazing Spider-Man #1, Tony Stark: Iron Man #2, and Immortal Hulk #3 Sell Out, Go to Second Printing - July 19, 2018
- Jodie Whittaker’s New Sonic Screwdriver Revealed at San Diego Comic-Con – and Where You Can Buy It - July 19, 2018
- Titans TV Series for DC Universe Will Drop 10 Episodes at Once Like Netflix - July 19, 2018
- Get Your Geek Nutbutter on at San Diego Comic-Con Tonight - July 19, 2018
- Superman Receives Guinness World Record for Longest-Running Superhero Comic at SDCC - July 19, 2018