Valve’s Gabe Newell has peaked a lot of hopes saying that the company is eager to get back into making new video games.
Valve’s interests has clearly been away from game development on new titles in recent years. The company has overseen PC marketplace behemoth Steam, while also getting into the HTC Vive and maintaining games like Dota 2 and Counter-Strike. Each is a huge job, so it is no real surprise the makers of Half-Life, Portal and Left 4 Dead have not put out a new (non-VR) title in quite some time.
That is set to change though as the developer is gearing up to release a new Dota based card game called Artifact. While it isn’t Half-Life 3, it does mark the company’s intent to put new things out, and seemingly this is only the beginning. At a briefing for Artifact, as reported on by PC Gamer, Valve’s Gabe Newell said that the title is one of a few new games the developer is working on. He reportedly said:
Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us. So that’s sort of good news. Hooray! Valve’s going to start shipping games again.
He continued that this is part of Valve’s desire to create software and hardware simultaneously, something Nintendo already do. He said:
We’ve always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo. When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he’s thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he’s designing the software at the same time that’s really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we’ve been jealous of, and that’s something that you’ll see us taking advantage of subsequently.
This is exciting news. Knowing Valve has a desire to start making more and more games again opens up a lot of doors. Does it mean we will see Portal 3, Left for Dead 3 or even Half-Life 3 in the future? Not necessarily, but it does at least seem far more likely today than it did yesterday.
- Artifact the "First of Several" New Games from Valve, According to Gabe Newell
- Expect To See Mario Kart on Google Maps on March 10th
- Marvel’s Spider-Man’s Final DLC Gets Release Date – Will Have Into the Spider Verse Suit - December 13, 2018
- Tony Hawk has a New Game for Mobile - December 13, 2018
- Kingdom Hearts Gets Opening Cinematic With New Skrillex Collaboration - December 10, 2018
- Anthem Gets Story Trailer Showing Off Impressive Cutscenes - December 6, 2018
- Far Cry: New Dawn Shows Off Beautiful Post-Apocalypse World - December 6, 2018