Developer Psyonix has announced that Rocket League has reached the massive milestone of 40 million players.
The achievement was shared by the game’s official Twitter announcing that 40 million players had picked up and tried the game, highlighting just how huge the little indie game has become. Sales would have been undoubtedly boosted by the recent release on the Nintendo Switch, as playing the car-meets-soccer hybrid on the move almost certainly enticed new buyers. I’m also sure with sales on services like Steam, PlayStation, and Xbox, it has remained a reliable seller on just about every platform, too.
The tweet says:
Rocket League now has 40 MILLION players worldwide! Thank you to our ever-growing community for helping us start the new year with such a fantastic milestone. pic.twitter.com/8UJQLSlECF
— Rocket League (@RocketLeague) January 2, 2018
Now, it’s worth keeping in mind that this is a lifetime number. There aren’t 40 million active, concurrent players or anything like that, nor does it mean 40 million copies have necessarily been sold. That said though, this is still a huge number. Not many games get anywhere near this level, and back when it launched in 2015, which saw it free on PlayStation Plus, it was an utterly unknown, quirky title. Now, it’s one of the biggest in the entire industry.
- Rocket League To Receive DC Comics DLC Cars In March
- Rocket League Will Finally Get Crossplay Party Support In 2018
- Psyonix Wants Your Help Choosing Rocket League Music
- Valve Boasts New 18.5 Concurrent Users Record on Steam
- Hellboy Gets an Itty Bitty Bust from Skelton Crew Studio
- Mighty Muggs Already Get a Second Wave from Hasbro
- Halo Infinite Won’t Have a Battle Royale Mode - July 20, 2018
- Todd Howard Doesn’t Want to Remaster Morrowind - July 20, 2018
- Microsoft Controls Whether Alan Wake and Quantum Break Get Sequels, Says Remedy - July 18, 2018
- Base Game and Previous Expansions Now Part of World of Warcraft’s Subscription - July 18, 2018
- Destiny 2 Adds Bounties Back into the Game Alongside Other Improvements in New Patch - July 18, 2018