Much has been written about the ties between President Donald Trump and Marvel Entertainment Chairman Ike Perlmutter, and much of that right here at Bleeding Cool, the internet’s number one Ike Perlmutter news source. But in a report from the Chicago Tribune about Trump’s golf club reimbursing the Trump Foundation over $150,000 that had been spent to settle a lawsuit for the club, it was revealed that Ike and wife Laura Perlmutter provided more than 1/3 of the total funds donated to the Trump Foundation in 2016.
Trump and the Perlmutters aren’t just close personal friends. The Perlmutters were major campaign donors for Trump, recently contributing an additional five million dollars to a Trump super pac even after he was already president. Laura Perlmutter served on Trump’s inauguration committee, and Ike, as previously mentioned, has been an official advisor on the subject of veterans’ healthcare and flown around with the president on Air Force One. Trump famously gave Ike the pen he used to sign a recent veterans’ healthcare bill.
In a remote but very real sense, buying Marvel comics is essentially supporting Donald Trump, as some significant share of Marvel profits eventually ends up in major Disney stockholder Perlmutter’s pocket, and some of Perlmutter’s money inevitably ends up in a donation check to Trump.
One of those checks, for $1,000,000 was written at a fundraiser event during the 2016 election, which Trump held to upstage a Republican primary debate he had refused to participate in, and that single check accounted for more than a third of the slightly less than $3 million collected by the foundation in 2016, according to a recent tax filing. The money was ostensibly supposed to go to veterans, but reports have since revealed that money from the Trump Foundation has been used for non-charitable purposes like the golf club lawsuit or the purchase of a large portrait of Donald Trump.
Hopefully, Ike Perlmutter won’t mind. At least, he can console himself, it wasn’t a poster of the Fantastic Four.
- Get a Sneak Peek at What Alien 3 Should Have Been in First Page from Comic of William Gibson’s Screenplay - July 20, 2018
- Dark Horse Makes Stranger Things, MST3K, and Umbrella Academy Returnable (with a Catch) - July 20, 2018
- Tank Girl Gets First-Ever Ongoing Series, ‘Rivers of London’ Too, from Titan at the Retailer Lunch - July 20, 2018
- Border Town, American Carnage, and a Look at Batman: Damned for Retailers at the Diamond Lunch - July 20, 2018
- Heroes in Crisis to Be Like Identity Crisis in Tone, Says DC at Diamond Retailer Lunch - July 20, 2018