Much has been written about the ties between President Donald Trump and Marvel Entertainment Chairman Ike Perlmutter, and much of that right here at Bleeding Cool, the internet’s number one Ike Perlmutter news source. But in a report from the Chicago Tribune about Trump’s golf club reimbursing the Trump Foundation over $150,000 that had been spent to settle a lawsuit for the club, it was revealed that Ike and wife Laura Perlmutter provided more than 1/3 of the total funds donated to the Trump Foundation in 2016.
Trump and the Perlmutters aren’t just close personal friends. The Perlmutters were major campaign donors for Trump, recently contributing an additional five million dollars to a Trump super pac even after he was already president. Laura Perlmutter served on Trump’s inauguration committee, and Ike, as previously mentioned, has been an official advisor on the subject of veterans’ healthcare and flown around with the president on Air Force One. Trump famously gave Ike the pen he used to sign a recent veterans’ healthcare bill.
In a remote but very real sense, buying Marvel comics is essentially supporting Donald Trump, as some significant share of Marvel profits eventually ends up in major Disney stockholder Perlmutter’s pocket, and some of Perlmutter’s money inevitably ends up in a donation check to Trump.
One of those checks, for $1,000,000 was written at a fundraiser event during the 2016 election, which Trump held to upstage a Republican primary debate he had refused to participate in, and that single check accounted for more than a third of the slightly less than $3 million collected by the foundation in 2016, according to a recent tax filing. The money was ostensibly supposed to go to veterans, but reports have since revealed that money from the Trump Foundation has been used for non-charitable purposes like the golf club lawsuit or the purchase of a large portrait of Donald Trump.
Hopefully, Ike Perlmutter won’t mind. At least, he can console himself, it wasn’t a poster of the Fantastic Four.
- Critics and Audience Clash on Rotten Tomatoes Over Star Wars: The Last Jedi - December 15, 2017
- WWE Superstar Enzo Amore Feuds with State of Delaware over Phallic Signature on Driver’s License - December 15, 2017
- What About Trump? Rupert Murdoch, Ike Perlmutter, and the Fox/Disney Deal - December 15, 2017
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Kicks off Opening Weekend with $45M Domestic, $106M Worldwide Thursday - December 15, 2017
- Poison Ivy Meets Jack the Ripper in First Gotham by Gaslight Animated Clip - December 14, 2017