Yesterday evening, Nintendo held the finals for the Nintendo World Championships, live at the Manhattan Center during NYCC. A total of 24 people made it into the finals, which included a couple familiar gaming faces, some celebrities, and the returning champion. The last championship was held two years ago and one console behind, so the prospects of what could happen were wide open.
Several rounds of games were thrown into the mix, including Metroid: Samus Returns, Smash Bros., Mario Party 2, Breath of the Wild, and more. First off, let me just say that I like WWE’s Bayley, but she had no purpose being here beyond celebrity endorsement. After the points were totaled, she was the lowest-ranked player. Second, it was a little disappointing to not see classics like Punch Out, F-Zero, or Castlevania. That being said, the tournament seemed pretty balanced between Switch and Wii U titles, with a few exceptions going back to older titles.
Round by round people were eliminated from the competition, leading us into the final three. Nearing the final rounds, last year’s champion John Numbers went near perfect in all of his rounds of Arms, but didn’t shake anyone’s hands after the fights and instead chose to showboat and point at the audience. I realize you’re going for the W, but show a little sportsmanship.
At the end, it was John Numbers and Thomas G vying for the title, with Super Mario Odyssey being the last game (as if they were pulling the ending from the old Nintendo movie The Wizard). It was a close match, but Thomas G managed to figure out the final piece of the puzzle needed to beat the boss before Numbers and came out the victor! Congrats to Thomas G, and he’s hoping Nintendo will bring it back next year instead of waiting another couple.
- Nintendo Shows Off The Co-Op Feature In 'Super Mario Odyssey'
- You Can Buy The 'Super Mario Odyssey' Theme On iTunes
- 'Archer: Danger Island' Episode 1 Review From NYCC 2017
- That Archer Movie Is Still A Possibility: 'Archer: Danger Island' At NYCC 2017
- Tick, Tick, Boom: Peter Serafinowicz And Company Talk 'The Tick' At NYCC 2017
- NYCC 2017: Thank The CIA For Amazon's Jack Ryan Series
- Surprise Panel Guest Charlie Cox Expresses His Love For Arsenal At New York Comic Con
- Nintendo Shows Off The Co-Op Feature In ‘Super Mario Odyssey’ - October 22, 2017
- You Can Buy The ‘Super Mario Odyssey’ Theme On iTunes - October 22, 2017
- We’re Getting A New TMNT Arcade Game Debuting At IAAPA - October 21, 2017
- We Finally See The Box For ‘Dragon Ball FighterZ’ - October 21, 2017
- The Escapist Community Learns The Staff Has Been Let Go - October 21, 2017