Marvel has apparently removed the custom comic book produced with Northrop Grumman from their website, following backlash against the collaboration with the world’s fifth largest defense contractor.
Earlier today, Bleeding Cool told you about the team-up between Marvel Comics and Northrup Grumman, a company which a 2012 report by 247 Wall St named the sixth largest war profiteer with $25.2 billion in sales, $19.4 billion of which came from arms sales, and over $2 billion in profit. In addition to producing planes and ships for the military including first strike nuclear weapons like stealth bombers, as well as nuclear capable ICBM missiles and drones, Northrop Grumman is also responsible for more outlandish weapons like a new “150-kilowatt-class solid state (electric) laser weapon system” for the Navy.
As part of their collaboration with the arms manufacturer, Marvel produced a comic book called Avengers, Featuring N.G.E.N. – Start Your N.G.E.N.S!, from writer Fabian Nicieza and artist Sean Chen. In that comic, the titular Earth’s Mightiest Heroes team up with Northrup Grumman’s Elite Nexus, a not-so-fantastic team of four who specialize in “cutting edge, hi-tech adventures.” The comic, billed by Marvel as “all-ages,” featured an advertisement claiming a career at Northrop Grumman could “make your dreams come true.”
The comic was available to read for free on Marvel’s website on Friday, and the rules of a sweepstakes advertised in the comic claimed that physical copies would be given out all weekend at New York Comic Con, though we have not seen one in the wild yet. However, as of press time, attempting to access the url directs the user back to Marvel’s main website, as does the url for sweepstakes entry, indicating that the entire collaboration may have been canceled.
Another part of the team-up is a mysterious event advertised for Marvel’s booth at New York Comic Con at 3PM tomorrow tomorrow. Marvel has yet to make any official announcement on the status of that event, their tweet is still online as of press time, and Northrop Grumman’s twitter profile displays a banner with both companies’ logos and the date 10-07-2017. That could easily change by tomorrow, and we’ll let you know if it does.
UPDATE: The event is canceled as well.
This event has been canceled.
— Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel) October 7, 2017
- Doing The Four-Player Shuffle With 'Monster Hunter World' At NYCC 2017
- How Did Marvel Creators React To Marvel's Northrop Grumman Partnership?
- Messing With 'Resident Evil: Revelations' At NYCC 2017
- Trying Out Black Panther In 'Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite' During NYCC 2017
- Getting A Chance To Play 'Puzzle Fighter' At NYCC 2017
- Comics Editors Offer Tips For Aspiring Writers And Artists At NYCC 2017
- Marvel And Northrop Grumman Seeking Codebreakers For Team-Up Sweepstakes
- Marvel's Avengers Team With Northrop Grumman Superteam In All-Ages Comic From Fabian Nicieza, Sean Chen
- Marvel Announces Promotion With Arms Manufacturer Northrop Grumman At NYCC
- Game Of Thrones Season 8 Script Made Jon Snow Cry - October 21, 2017
- Mumps Virus Currently Top Babyface In WWE After Taking Out Roman Reigns - October 21, 2017
- Dave Bautista Shows Off His Geek Room, Now With More James Gunn Funko - October 20, 2017
- Kurt Angle Returns To Ring At TLC In Place Of Roman Reigns, AJ Styles Replaces Bray Wyatt - October 20, 2017
- Women And Gender Non-Conforming Animators Demand End To Sexual Harassment And Abuse - October 20, 2017