Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso may be in a bit of a slump lately when it comes to Marvel’s comic book sales, but at least he’s got a backup career as a professional baseball pitcher.
Alonso was scheduled to throw out the first pitch during a matchup between the San Francisco Giants and the Arizona Diamondbacks last night, but prior to the game, he seemed to be feeling a little bit of anxiety.
— axel alonso (@axelalonsomarv) September 15, 2017
The stadium was celebrating Marvel Day, and another special guest was on hand to tell the teams to “play ball!” It may not have been his preferred “Excelsior,” but Stan Lee knows how to deliver a good catchprase:
— San Francisco Giants (@SFGiants) September 16, 2017
And as it turns out, Alonso had nothing to worry about. He made the pitch and his son wasn’t disappointed:
— axel alonso (@axelalonsomarv) September 16, 2017
Things didn’t go so smoothly for the Giants, unfortunately. They lost to the Diamondbacks, 2-3. There was no joy in San Francisco that night.
Can Alonso and Marvel hit a home run with the upcoming Legacy relaunch? We’ll have to wait and see.
- Jean Grey Gets Weird With Nightcrawler in X-Men Red #9 Preview - October 19, 2018
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018
- Does Logan Make a Promise He Can’t Keep in Return of Wolverine #2? (Preview) - October 19, 2018
- Skottie Young Plays the High-Stakes Game of Footsie with Uncanny X-Men #1 Variant - October 19, 2018