Tom Holland is about to go from playing Spider-Man to playing… a chauffeur?!
Holland has been tapped for the lead role in Pascal Pictures’ adaptation of Beneath A Scarlet Sky, the novel by Mark Sullivan about real-life hero Pino Lella, a member of an underground resistance during World War II who is enlisted in the German army, becomes the driver for Nazi big wig Hans Leyers, and acts as a spy for the Allies. Here’s the book’s synopsis:
“Pino Lella wants nothing to do with the war or the Nazis. He’s a normal Italian teenager—obsessed with music, food, and girls—but his days of innocence are numbered. When his family home in Milan is destroyed by Allied bombs, Pino joins an underground railroad helping Jews escape over the Alps, and falls for Anna, a beautiful widow six years his senior.
In an attempt to protect him, Pino’s parents force him to enlist as a German soldier—a move they think will keep him out of combat. But after Pino is injured, he is recruited at the tender age of eighteen to become the personal driver for Adolf Hitler’s left hand in Italy, General Hans Leyers, one of the Third Reich’s most mysterious and powerful commanders.
Now, with the opportunity to spy for the Allies inside the German High Command, Pino endures the horrors of the war and the Nazi occupation by fighting in secret, his courage bolstered by his love for Anna and for the life he dreams they will one day share.”
Deadline reported the news this week that former Sony head and Spider-Man producer Amy Pascal’s company picked up the rights to the film and immediately cast Holland in the role, looking to capitalize on more of that lucrative Spider-Man Homecoming goodness. The question now is whether the film will tie in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Our guess is that Kevin Feige says no, but Amy Pascal says yes.
- Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger Renewed for 2nd Season at Freeform - July 20, 2018
- Watch the Star Trek Discovery Season 2 First Look Trailer from San Diego Comic-Con - July 20, 2018
- Amazon Drops Behind-the-Scenes Video from The Tick at San Diego Comic-Con - July 20, 2018
- Watch: Cast, Creators of ‘The Expanse’ Thank Fans for Saving the Series in Video Message - July 20, 2018
- Amazon Studios’ ‘Lore’ Season 2 Gets a Premiere Date: October 19th - July 20, 2018