If you’ve been unimpressed with the photos and trailers for Marvel’s upcoming TV show/Imax movie Inhumans, you’ll be glad to know that at least it didn’t cost a lot or waste too much time. In an interview with CNet headlined “What did Marvel look for in ‘Inhumans’? Fast and cheap,” director Roel Reiné talked about why Marvel hired him for the job.
“I think they liked me for the job because I was able with my action movies to shoot in a very short time, or with very low budgets, action that looks like a big-budget movie,” he claimed, though response to early looks at the show might disagree on that accomplishment. “It was not a feature film, it was a TV episode, but they still wanted to have the scope.”
“The schedule was super-tight. I had TV schedule time to shoot it with Imax cameras, 20 days to shoot two episodes. It’s nerve-wracking but I come from a low-budget film world, so 20 days for me is luxury,” Reiné continued. He did not mention whether underexposed promotional photos with terrible wigs were also considered a luxury on the project.
Reiné made sure to point out that he shouldn’t be the only one to receive blame for the way Inhumans turned out. He was constantly under surveillance by Marvel executives while filming the show, which explains why Ike Perlmutter hasn’t been spotted with Trump lately, we suppose.
“There was always a Marvel executive around me, just to make sure that whatever I did, or whatever we did together, would tie in with other characters in other universes, in other comics, in other series or movies,”Reiné said. “They’re very protective. … These people are very passionate about their product and about characters and about doing the best version of everything.”
Not that passionate, from the looks of things.
“I heard all of these horror stories of working with Marvel, but I didn’t feel that way,” Reiné pointed out.
The horror, it seems, will be reserved for the viewers.
- Jeph Loeb And Scott Buck With A New First Look Promo For Marvel's Inhumans
- Will Friday Night Be The Death Of The Inhumans And Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
- Is Marvel's Inhumans The Train Wreck It Appears To Be In The Media?
- Inhumans Character Portraits Reveal Stern Looking Actors On Gray Backdrops
- Why Marvel Television Shows Are So Tonally Different
- Didn't Like The First Marvel's Inhumans Trailer? Neither Did The Director
- James Gunn Says He’s Been Warning People About James Toback For 20 Years - October 22, 2017
- Report: WWE Officials Hope Kurt Angle Doesn’t Try Too Hard At TLC Tonight - October 22, 2017
- It’s Alan Moore Vs. Northamptonshire Council In Library Showdown, With BBC TV Show At Stake - October 22, 2017
- Jason Latour, Chip Zdarsky, And Ryan North Critically Analyze Looney Tunes In Free Comic - October 22, 2017
- David Fincher Turned Down Star Wars Gig Because He Was Scared Of Carrie Fisher And Harrison Ford - October 22, 2017