A screencap of a CNN broadcast is making the rounds on social media tonight, showing a white supremacist wearing a Hydra t-shirt.
The shirt was noticed by Anthony Oliveira, part of footage provided to CNN by Vice from a profile on neo-Nazi leader Chris Cantwell which has been airing all night. Oliveira tweeted:
just noticed the neo-nazis doing security for white nationalist Christopher Cantwell are in HYDRA t-shirts. pic.twitter.com/zE7bYBTKT6
— Anthony Oliveira (@meakoopa) August 17, 2017
Prompting this question from Tess Fowler, and an answer:
No it couldn't be then that would mean a certain comic book writer was wrong, and he's never wrong 😒
— Erika Price (@erikapriceart) August 17, 2017
The comic writer in question, we can only assume, is Secret Empire writer Nick Spencer, who once said:
But the t-shirt in question does not appear to be the same one Marvel wanted comic store employees to wear to promote their super-mega-crossover event. That was this one:
The real-life Nazi seems to be wearing this t-shirt:
And the major retailers its sold at seem to indicate it’s an officially licensed product.
But it’s also not the first sign that real-life Nazis find Hydra Captain America inspiring. Videos of the violence in Charlottesville last weekend showed Nazis wearing helmets with Captain America wings on them.
I hope Nick Spencer is fucking proud of himself. pic.twitter.com/DibJjichsy
— rosie knight ✨ (@RosieMarx) August 13, 2017
Spencer has argued that white supremacists don’t like his Captain America story.
But white supremacists don’t need to read the story to be inspired by imagery like this, shared on websites and social media.
We reached out to Nick Spencer for comment on this story, but he has not responded as of press time.
- We Talk To The Supergirl Cosplayer "Along For The Ride" At The White Nationalist Rally In Charlottesville
- Nick Spencer: People Have Chosen Equivalence As A Way Out Of Moral Conduct
- What Happens When A White Supremacist Likes Captain America?
- Was President Trump Watching Charlottesville Protests With Ike Perlmutter Today?
- Gail Simone's #ComicsHateNazis, The Hashtag America Needs Right Now
- Yes, Most Marvel Comics Writers Are Conservatives. And?
- Nick Spencer Stops Tweeting So Much; Twitter Stock Drops Dramatically
- No, Marvel Chairman Ike Perlmutter Didn't Just Step Down Or Change His Title
- Nick Spencer Now Rumoured To Write Amazing Spider-Man
- Donald Trump Launches Subscription Box So Marvel Fans Can Give Him Money Directly
- Stan Sakai Named Inaugural Joe Kubert Award Winner By Comic Con Revolution, Kubert School - May 20, 2018
- X-ual Healing: Cable #157, Continuity Porn Even a New Reader Can Enjoy - May 19, 2018
- X-ual Healing: Acanti Sky-Whales, Brood-Wolves, and Flying Brood-Sharks, Oh My, in Weapon H #3 - May 19, 2018
- X-ual Healing – A Heel Turn for Weapon X in Hunt for Wolverine: The Claws of a Killer #1 - May 19, 2018
- Hasbro Trademarks the Smell of Play-Doh - May 19, 2018