Scott Snyder revealed a Cliff Chiang variant cover for Dark Nights: Metal, Snyder’s super-mega-crossover event with Greg Capullo from DC Comics.
— Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) August 4, 2017
Prompting one follower to ask:
This is an homage to "Heavy Metal"???
— The Read Pile (@TheReadPile) August 4, 2017
And indeed, the similarities are obvious:
That’s the famous painting by Chris Achilleos, used for the movie poster, home video release artwork, and the cover of the September 1981 issue of Heavy Metal magazine. Achilleos also designed the look of the character, Taarna, depicted in the 1981 movie’s final sequence. But it could be said that the art style has more in common with the Azrach comics by Moebius which inspired that sequence:
But here in the column formerly known as Swipe File, it is not we who decide what has or has not been Separated at Birth. For legal reasons, U-DECIDE!
Cliff Chiang’s DC Metal variant cover…
Separated at Birth: Cliff Chiang's DC Metal Variant
- Justice League Dark #3 Will Show What Happens When You Meddle with Magic - July 20, 2018
- The Batman Who Laughs Returns in New Mini by Snyder and Jock, Plus a New Killer Batman with a Gun - July 20, 2018
- Julia Roberts’s ‘Homecoming’ Will Premiere Friday, November 2nd on Amazon Prime Video - July 20, 2018
- Noomi Rapace Joins Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan for Season 2 at Amazon Studios - July 20, 2018
- Titan to Publish The Wrath of Fantomas, Plus a Massive Yellow Submarine Box Set - July 20, 2018