Scott Snyder revealed a Cliff Chiang variant cover for Dark Nights: Metal, Snyder’s super-mega-crossover event with Greg Capullo from DC Comics.
— Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) August 4, 2017
Prompting one follower to ask:
This is an homage to "Heavy Metal"???
— The Read Pile (@TheReadPile) August 4, 2017
And indeed, the similarities are obvious:
That’s the famous painting by Chris Achilleos, used for the movie poster, home video release artwork, and the cover of the September 1981 issue of Heavy Metal magazine. Achilleos also designed the look of the character, Taarna, depicted in the 1981 movie’s final sequence. But it could be said that the art style has more in common with the Azrach comics by Moebius which inspired that sequence:
But here in the column formerly known as Swipe File, it is not we who decide what has or has not been Separated at Birth. For legal reasons, U-DECIDE!
Cliff Chiang’s DC Metal variant cover…
Separated at Birth: Cliff Chiang's DC Metal Variant
- Warner Bros. Crosses $2 Billion at the Box Office, but with Zack Snyder Cut, Could It Be $3 Billion? - December 10, 2017
- WWE Superstar Rich Swann Suspended After Domestic Violence Arrest - December 10, 2017
- Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn Blasts Donald Trump, Explains Fake News - December 9, 2017
- Amber Heard Responds to Yates, Rowling, and Warner Bros. on Johnny Depp Statements - December 9, 2017
- Jessica Jones Trailer Reveals Season 2 Release Date - December 9, 2017