Scott Snyder revealed a Cliff Chiang variant cover for Dark Nights: Metal, Snyder’s super-mega-crossover event with Greg Capullo from DC Comics.
— Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) August 4, 2017
Prompting one follower to ask:
This is an homage to "Heavy Metal"???
— The Read Pile (@TheReadPile) August 4, 2017
And indeed, the similarities are obvious:
That’s the famous painting by Chris Achilleos, used for the movie poster, home video release artwork, and the cover of the September 1981 issue of Heavy Metal magazine. Achilleos also designed the look of the character, Taarna, depicted in the 1981 movie’s final sequence. But it could be said that the art style has more in common with the Azrach comics by Moebius which inspired that sequence:
But here in the column formerly known as Swipe File, it is not we who decide what has or has not been Separated at Birth. For legal reasons, U-DECIDE!
Cliff Chiang’s DC Metal variant cover…
Separated at Birth: Cliff Chiang's DC Metal Variant
- Has James Gunn’s Elusive Guardians Of The Galaxy Easter Egg Finally Been Found? - August 20, 2017
- Tom Holland Lands Role As Nazi Driver, Allied Spy In Adaptation Of ‘Beneath A Scarlet Sky’ - August 20, 2017
- Good News: Ric Flair Is Awake, Communicating, And Cutting Promos On Nurses (Wooo!) - August 20, 2017
- Marvel’s Runaways Teach You How To Preorder Comics, Your Sacred Responsibility As A Comic Book Reader - August 19, 2017
- How Much Is Jonah Hex Worth? A Redditor Digs Deep To Find Out - August 19, 2017