Scott Snyder revealed a Cliff Chiang variant cover for Dark Nights: Metal, Snyder’s super-mega-crossover event with Greg Capullo from DC Comics.
— Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) August 4, 2017
Prompting one follower to ask:
This is an homage to "Heavy Metal"???
— The Read Pile (@TheReadPile) August 4, 2017
And indeed, the similarities are obvious:
That’s the famous painting by Chris Achilleos, used for the movie poster, home video release artwork, and the cover of the September 1981 issue of Heavy Metal magazine. Achilleos also designed the look of the character, Taarna, depicted in the 1981 movie’s final sequence. But it could be said that the art style has more in common with the Azrach comics by Moebius which inspired that sequence:
But here in the column formerly known as Swipe File, it is not we who decide what has or has not been Separated at Birth. For legal reasons, U-DECIDE!
Cliff Chiang’s DC Metal variant cover…
Separated at Birth: Cliff Chiang's DC Metal Variant
- Hulk Hogan Set for Andre the Giant Doc Premiere as First Stop in WWE Return - March 23, 2018
- Donny Cates Confirms the End of Thanos for April’s Thanos #18… For Now - March 22, 2018
- Jim Cornette Announces Wrestling Comic at IDW, Claims It Will Make You Rich - March 22, 2018
- WWE Admits Talking to Hulk Hogan About Return - March 22, 2018
- Nix Comics Offers Subscription for All Your 2018 Rock N’ Roll, Horror, and Western Comic Needs - March 22, 2018