Here’s a bit of breaking news before SDCC: Dynamite Entertainment has just signed an agreement with MGM for the rights to do comics and graphic novels based on the 1988 horror film Pumpkinhead. The original film was directed by the legendary Stan Winston and starred Lance Henriksen, John D’Aquino and Kerry Remsen. It led to a sequel in 1994 and two made-for-TV movies in the 2000s.
The synopsis for the original film:
“After his son dies in a hit-and-run accident, Ed Harley (Lance Henriksen) seeks revenge against the teenagers responsible. With the help of a local witch (Florence Schauffler), Ed summons the vengeful demon Pumpkinhead to hunt and kill the group of friends. But when Ed discovers a bond between himself and the creature, he begins to have second thoughts about employing the vicious monster, and he fights to end Pumpkinhead’s murderous rampage before it is too late.”
The deal may be tied to talks of a franchise reboot by the producer of the Saw series, Peter Block. According to EW.com, Nate Atkins will write the script and it should be shooting this year.
In 1993, Dark Horse solicited a four-issue miniseries called Pumpkinhead: the Rites of Exorcism, but only two issues were published, with the second ending on a cliffhanger.
For the fun of it, here is the trailer for Pumpkinhead:
- Writer’s Commentary: Rik Hoskin Talks ‘Red Rising: Sons Of Ares’ #5 - September 22, 2017
- Russell Tovey To Play The Ray In Arrowverse Crossover - September 22, 2017
- Crisis On Earth-X Is The Arrowverse Punching Nazis Versions Of Themselves - September 22, 2017
- Arrowverse Crossover To Be Called ‘Crisis On Earth-X’ - September 22, 2017
- The Blacklist Season 5: How Will Things Change Between Liz And Red Now? - September 22, 2017