Here’s a bit of breaking news before SDCC: Dynamite Entertainment has just signed an agreement with MGM for the rights to do comics and graphic novels based on the 1988 horror film Pumpkinhead. The original film was directed by the legendary Stan Winston and starred Lance Henriksen, John D’Aquino and Kerry Remsen. It led to a sequel in 1994 and two made-for-TV movies in the 2000s.
The synopsis for the original film:
“After his son dies in a hit-and-run accident, Ed Harley (Lance Henriksen) seeks revenge against the teenagers responsible. With the help of a local witch (Florence Schauffler), Ed summons the vengeful demon Pumpkinhead to hunt and kill the group of friends. But when Ed discovers a bond between himself and the creature, he begins to have second thoughts about employing the vicious monster, and he fights to end Pumpkinhead’s murderous rampage before it is too late.”
The deal may be tied to talks of a franchise reboot by the producer of the Saw series, Peter Block. According to EW.com, Nate Atkins will write the script and it should be shooting this year.
In 1993, Dark Horse solicited a four-issue miniseries called Pumpkinhead: the Rites of Exorcism, but only two issues were published, with the second ending on a cliffhanger.
For the fun of it, here is the trailer for Pumpkinhead:
- Could Racially Charged Tweets Derail Top Quarterback Prospect’s Draft Hopes? - April 26, 2018
- Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe: A Flawed but Fun Introduction to the Characters - April 26, 2018
- Exclusive Look Inside Charlie’s Angels #1 by John Layman and Joe Eisma - April 26, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: Worldkillers Showdown Coming Soon - April 26, 2018
- Dynamite Announces Exclusives for Vampirella: Roses for the Dead Collectors Box - April 26, 2018