Last week, we all witnessed the most presidential thing Donald Trump has done since being elected when he tweeted a video of himself beating up Vince McMahon at WrestleMania 23, with the CNN logo superimposed over McMahon’s face. Trump’s assault on the media was met with backlash, particularly after it was discovered that the video was created by a Reddit user named HanAssholeSolo with a history of racist posts.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 2, 2017
However, pro wrestling legend Jerry “The King” Lawler was apparently a fan of the tweet, and his support of it on Twitter landed him coverage in the mainstream media, including on Newsweek.
— Jerry Lawler (@JerryLawler) July 2, 2017
Lawler’s tweet was also criticized, and, today, Lawler addressed that criticism on his podcast, saying (via 411 Wrestling):
To me, it was pretty cool, no matter who the President is. It’s the President of the United States and they put out a tweet and you’re in it. I mean, c’mon! There’s not many people that can say that happened to them, so I just thought it was cool. Everyone just needs to lighten up. That was a funny tweet. You gotta admit, whether you like Donald Trump or whatever, it was the President of the United States putting out a funny tweet. Lighten up. What is wrong with that?
Lawler is definitely wrong about at least one thing: who hasn’t the President tweeted about lately?! It’s not as exclusive a club as he thinks.
- Trey Parker Says South Park Will Ignore Donald Trump Next Season
- Netflix GLOW Star Celebrates 4th Of July In Character With Middle-Finger To Republicans
- Trump Got CNN WWE Beatdown Video From Reddit, Showing He And Media Are More Alike Than He Will Admit
- Donald Trump Celebrates Presidential Pro Wrestling Heritage With Video Beating Up CNN
- Marvel’s Runaways Teach You How To Preorder Comics, Your Sacred Responsibility As A Comic Book Reader - August 19, 2017
- How Much Is Jonah Hex Worth? A Redditor Digs Deep To Find Out - August 19, 2017
- Geena Davis Available For Wonder Woman 2 Role, Says Geena Davis - August 19, 2017
- Ramirez: Defenders Don’t Pick On Danny Rand Because Of Iron Fist Backlash - August 19, 2017
- Iron Fist Among Most-Viewed Shows On Netflix, According To Latest Divination Techniques Of Questionable Repute - August 19, 2017