It looks like Michael Bay has moved on to killing Chinese childhoods, having depleted the supply of available childhoods to kill in North America. Despite opening on a Wednesday in order to surprise unsuspecting inner children who might have let their guard down for Bay to destroy their fondest memories with a blockbuster action movie based on the popular toy franchise in the middle of the week, Transformers: The Last Knight is estimated to have made just $69 million at the domestic box office for its opening weekend, which is barely enough to pay for Optimus Prime’s catering budget.
However, the film’s financial viability, and Bay’s capacity for murdering childhoods with the franchise for years to come via fourteen more films Bay has planned out for other directors to execute, remains intact, thanks to international childhoods which apparently have not been thoroughly wiped out by the mad director. In China, for instance, Transformers 5 brought in $123.4 million dollars, raising the film’s global total to an estimated $265 million in childhood blood money.
In other box office news, Wonder Woman made an additional $25.1 million, and has officially become the highest grossing live action film directed by a woman, which is good, because Warner Bros will need all that money to hire director Patty Jenkins again for the sequel, since they only locked her in for one film. Wonder Woman’s global total is now at $652.8 million, where it’s almost surpassed 2013’s Man of Steel (as it’s already done domestically). However, Cars 3 looks to have narrowly edged out Wonder Woman for second place, with a $25.2 million estimated domestic take this weekend, adding to a $141.3 million global total. Despicable Me 3 doesn’t open in the U.S. until next week, but it’s already got an $18.9 million head start thanks to opening in some overseas markets early.
Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales earned an additional $5.2 million domestically this weekend, behind The Mummy’s $5.8 million, but Pirates 5’s global total nearly doubles The Mummy’s, $677.8 million to $342.1 million. All Eyes On Me also earned $5.8 million in its second weekend, which Tupac is surely enjoying in his island hideout while writing his next album, while Captain Underpants earned an additional $4.2 million domestically. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 earned another $3 million in the U.S., bringing its global total up to $851.2 million.
While they weren’t big money movies, The Big Sick earned $435,000 on just five screens, giving it the highest per screen average of the year, while Sofia Coppola’s Beguiled, presumably a remake of that 90s movie that starred Elizabeth Hurley and Brendan Fraser, earned $240,545, according to sandwich-themed Hollywood gossip rag The Wrap’s hipster flick division.
Next week, Despicable Me 3 opens in the U.S., where it’s sure to dominate, along with The House, an R-Rated comedy featuring Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler, and Inconceivable, the Nicholas Cage movie that stars Eva Marie from WWE.
(Estimates via @BoxOffice)
- Ticket Booth: Transformers, And Unfortunately Nothing Else
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Review: An Incoherent Mess Of A Movie
- Mark Wahlberg Doesn't Think Michael Bay Is Done With 'Transformers'
- The Bumblebee Spin-Off Will Be A More "Intimate" Transformers Movie
- 'Transformers 6' Set For Summer 2019, Bumblebee To Start Filming In August
- Transformers The Last Knight Review: A Popcorn Movie If Ever There Was One
- Mark Wahlberg Reveals That 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Is His Last In The Franchise
- New 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Character Posters Drop Now With More Lens Flare
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Does Some Viral Marketing On Twitter
- Wonder Woman Annual #1 (2017) Review- First Meetings, Samurai, Kaiju, and International Incidents
- Brendan Fraser Joins FX Series About The Kidnapping Of J. Paul Getty III
- Mairghread Scott Announces Transformers: Till All Are One Cancelled With #12 - But There Will Be An Extra Annual To Follow
- Impact Wrestling Co-Founder Jerry Jarrett Shares His Steamy Jim Cornette/Hillary Clinton Fanfic - May 26, 2018
- The Gentleman: Darkness of the Void – Pandering Horror to the Unrepresented - May 26, 2018
- BOOM! Studios and Natalie Nourigat Want to Teach You How to Break Into Animation - May 25, 2018
- Image Offers Unsold C2E2 Analog #1 Variants Now That It’s Being Adapted for Film - May 25, 2018
- Walking Dead Collectible Sparks Racism Controversy at North Carolina Credit Union - May 25, 2018