With the release of Redneck #2 (and initial Bleeding Cool Bestseller List charts indicating that it has made it onto the top ten of some stores), writer Donny Cates is as hot as any comics writer right now, with Babyteeth from AfterShock and Redneck and God Country from Image Comics. Watch for Buzzkill, Ghost Fleet, Interceptor or The Paybacks, whether from Dark Horse or Heavy Metal to start attracting more attention too.
But I understand that Cates has been approached by the big boys. Not surprisingly, he’s as hot as Tom King was on The Vision. DC Comics offered King the Batman monthly series, the bestselling comic in the industry, if he’d jump to them. Marvel didn’t offer anything like that. I don’t think Marvel will make the same mistake over Cates.
He already had a short story in a Secret Wars spinoff for a couple of years ago. Will that be enough to sway him?
Whatever you see him on, and my gut says Marvel, expect him to be writing a rather prominent title.
When reached for comment, Donny responded with one word “Excelsior”.
- Ch-Ch-Changes: Luciano Vecchio Will Join Ironheart #1, Issue #2 Slips to January - October 18, 2018
- Will You Find Doctor Aphra in Your Return of Wolverine #1 Second Printing? - October 18, 2018
- Landry Walker’s Writer’s Commentary for A Clash Of Kings #13 - October 18, 2018
- Dinesh Shamdasani Shaves Head to Match Bloodshot’s Vin Diesel - October 18, 2018
- Grant Morrison’s Midnight Green Lantern Tops Advance Reorders - October 18, 2018