Earlier today, the official Facebook page for Berkeley Breathed’s Bloom County comic strip posted a letter purportedly from the legal team of President Donald Trump:
The comment posted along with the photo read, “Arrived this morning. Full disclosure around here. –Mgmt.” The photos of Trump that the letter refers to are of this sort:
The story has been reported on Uproxx with no hint of irony, but a brief glance at the letter shows that Donald Trump’s supposed lawyers used the phrase “we will have your **** in a sling by lunch,” which, even for Donald Trump — yes, we know — but even for Donald Trump, is unlikely to be something put into a real cease and desist letter. In a tweet, sure. In a speech at the Holocaust Museum? Absolutely. But not in a legal letter. That’s almost certainly the one thing he’s good at!
In case anyone had their doubts that the letter is a hoax, comics journalism zine kingpin Christian Hoffer contacted the legal firm to check:
@bloomcounty I reached out to the law firm that allegedly sent the letter and they confirmed it was false. Sorry, guys.
— Christian Hoffer (@CHofferCBus) May 25, 2017
So it looks likely Donald Trump did not, in fact, threaten the creator of Bloom County over a Facebook meme. But the point is, it was 100% plausible that he could have.
- Chilling Adventures Of… Sorcery?! And Cosmo #1 In The Archie January 2018 Solicitations - October 17, 2017
- Se7en Screenwriter Signs On To Justin Lin’s ‘Lone Wolf And Cub’ Movie At Paramount - October 17, 2017
- X-Men’s Blink Gets A Physics-Defying New Costume On Cable #153 Cover - October 17, 2017
- Buy Marvel Legacy #1 With Some Extra Bonus Content For $40 This January - October 17, 2017
- What If… Kieron Gillen Had Continued To Write The X-Men - October 17, 2017