Setting a new record but at the same time shocking absolutely nobody, news broke yesterday that we’ll be getting a six film rebooted Resident Evil franchise just five days after the final film in the current franchise hit Blu-Ray (what took so long?). While no one has gotten a satisfactory answer yet to the question of why we even needed the first six film Resident Evil franchise, let alone a second one immediately after, at least one website did manage to ask old-franchise star Milla Jovovich about the reboot, and she had a remarkably candid response: “Okay, well good luck with that.”
“I think a lot of people with these franchises kind of put the cart before the horse,” Jovovich continued telling ComicBook.com. “There’s a danger to that. They’ve been wanting to reboot Resident Evil for a long time, and listen: I love the Resident Evil world. I think it’s a great property, I would do it if I was a producer.”
But Jovovich had a heartfelt plea to the producers, and perhaps to all producers.
“I think what made Resident Evil so special is that the people involved really loved what they’re doing and really were fans of the game,” she said. “I would suggest that you find people that have that same passion for the property before you talk about reboots. I think if you get into this kind of genre, people are very sensitive to fakes. There’s some real fans in the sci-fi/action/horror world, and they’re not idiots. They can smell when something is done because people love it and when something is done just to monetize an opportunity.”
Will Jovovich’s words have a profound effect on Hollywood, forcing them to rethink their strategy of rebooting every single intellectual property they can over and over again until one of them turns into a lucrative shared cinematic universe with a writers room headed up by Akiva Goldsman?
Bwahahaha! Sorry, we could barely type that with a straight face.
- 'Resident Evil 7' Is Getting A Gold Edition This December
- What Is This Beautiful Mess? We Review 'Resident Evil: Revelations'
- 'Resident Evil Revelations' Getting Remade For Nintendo Switch As Well
- 'Resident Evil: Revelations Remastered' Gets A Release Date
- 'Resident Evil 2 Remake' Will Not Feature The Original Voice Cast
- Remember Resident Evil: The Final Chapter? Get Ready To Do It All Over Again - It's Reboot Time!
- Watch The Making Of Resident Evil 7 - Part One Anyway
- Resident Evil 7 Producer Explains Why Game Is A Sequel And Not A Reboot
- Resident Evil 7 Gets A New, Spooky Japanese Trailer
- Improbable Previews: Archie Comics Are Darker Than We Remember in Archie #29 - February 24, 2018
- Long Beach Mayor Sneaks DC Comics Easter Egg into City’s New Civic Center - February 24, 2018
- Mark Millar Says DC Movies Fail Because the Characters Aren’t “Cinematic” - February 24, 2018
- In New Mini-Comic, Jughead Shows Archie How to Pre-Order Archie #29 Before FOC - February 24, 2018
- Hit-Girl #1 and Ice Cream Man #2 Get Second Printings - February 24, 2018