Amazing Spider-Man #25 recently gave us a new, rejuvenated Otto Octavius. Using a proto-clone body, stabilised using his own science, and transferring his own consciousness into it, Doctor Octopus gained new life as a newly empowered form, even down to his very own ‘octopus sense’.
And he also has a new power base – in the form of Marvel’s very own alternative right (whatever you do, don’t say Nazi), fascist organisation, Hydra!
But is it just me, or does this new Doc Ock, aligned with a far right, might is right, master race loving organisation, look kinda familiar? I mean, doesn’t he look kinda like alt-right spokesman and figurehead, Richard Spencer?
I mean, it’s a handy parallel, I guess. Marvel have been working very hard to push that Hydra are not Nazis, just like the the Alt-Right movement. Yet both organisations, the fictional and the real life one, have some pretty hardline fascist beliefs.
Seems I’m not the only person to have wondered.
So I guess aside from being a Nazi, Doctor Octopus is now also Richard Spencer.
Oh wait, that's the same thing.
— Spoopy Patrick (@PhantomRoxas) March 15, 2017
Here in the column formerly known as Swipe File, where Bleeding Cool makes no claims ourselves, we like to leave that question to our readers: is this a swipe, homage, or coincidence? Let us know in the poll below:
Separated At Birth: Spencer vs Ock
- Separated At Birth: Lovecraft And Tesla... And Elsewhere?
- Separated At Birth: The Last Page Of Secret Empire FCBD And Jae Lee's Inhumans #1? (SPOILERS)
- Thanos #13 Review: A Thrilling Jumping-On Point With An Entertaining New Character - November 23, 2017
- Doomsday Clock: Just Who Could Be The New [SPOILER]? - November 23, 2017
- Doomsday Clock #1 Review: A Strong, Gorgeous Piece Of Set-Dressing To Start - November 23, 2017
- Millarworld Announces New Ongoing Hit-Girl Series With Kevin Smith On Second Arc - November 21, 2017
- Disney Animation Head John Lasseter Takes Leave Of Absence From Pixar Due To “Missteps” - November 21, 2017