Yesterday, Bleeding Cool reported on Marvel’s plan to get comic shop employees to wear Hydra shirts to promote Secret Empire. It’s part of Marvel’s overall “Hydra Takeover” marketing gimmick that has been as well-received on social media as, well, as Secret Empire itself. For some reason, one we can’t quite put our finger on, people are uncomfortable with this. Hmm. What could it be?
Anyway, the reaction was swift and overwhelmingly negative, with, out of literally hundreds of tweets just quoting our own tweet of the story, only one or two tweets supporting the idea. Amongst the many tweets no in favor of a Hydra takeover were some from someone who you may remember as the comic shop clerk who brought us a heartwarming tale about a young Supergirl fan last December. Will her shop be participating in the Hydra promotion?
As someone who works in a comic store, Marvel can fuck off with this nonsense. My grandfather was an Allied soldier captured by the Nazis. https://t.co/temUcbzvx1
— 🌈Mary🌈 (@sapphicgeek) April 20, 2017
Yeah, doesn’t look like it. Another retailer revealed that Marvel wants shops to do more than just wear t-shirts:
We've also been asked to change our store logos to Hydra symbols. My staff are LGBTQ, Jewish, or both. We are no longer hand-selling Marvel. https://t.co/gQnBfBZC8L
— Glamour Toad 🌈🐸🌈 (@NickiColey) April 20, 2017
Even former comic book store workers had a similar reaction:
As someone who used to manage a comic store, I would simply like to say FUCK THIS. https://t.co/IuduzY4hh8
— Jason Heller (@jason_m_heller) April 21, 2017
But there was at least one person who seemed to be down with the idea:
— Chris Lance🥛✊🏻 (@itsChrisLance) April 21, 2017
Unfortunately, as it turns out…
— yulebones (@yulebones) April 21, 2017
Well, a customer is a customer, right? Right??
- Nick Spencer Leads Creative Team Of ‘Not Brand Echh’ For Marvel Legacy In November - August 18, 2017
- DC Announces Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands Mini From Tony Isabella And Clayton Henry For November - August 18, 2017
- SummerSlam Protestors Want Donald Trump Out Of The WWE Hall Of Fame - August 18, 2017
- New Marvel Hire Donny Cates Says Writing Thanos Comic Gave Him Nightmares - August 18, 2017
- Mystery Villain Leads New Sinister Six For ‘Spider-Man’ From Bendis And Bazaldua - August 18, 2017