Following a post on Facebook yesterday declaring that “my career is over now” by Indonesian artist Ardian Syaf, Marvel has released a statement confirming they have officially terminated Syaf for the controversial hidden messages he included in X-Men Gold #1. R.B. Silva is drawing issues #4-6, Ken Lashley is drawing #7-10, and Marvel expects to have a permanent replacement artist for Syaf by then.
Referencing Indonesian political issues, particularly the “212” protest against Jakarta’s Christian Governor Ahok, the messages included references to a Qu’ran verse which is unfavorable toward Jews and Christians, more so in some translations than others. The messages were reported on by Bleeding Cool this weekend, after which it was picked up by mainstream media organizations, prompting a response from Marvel promising disciplinary action as well as the removal of the messages from future printings and digital copies. Because of the controversy, the comic has shot up in value on the collector’s market.
Below, read the full statement from Marvel on Syaf’s termination, courtesy of ComicBook.com:
Marvel has terminated Ardian Syaf’s contract effective immediately. ‘X-Men Gold’ #2 and #3 featuring his work have already been sent to the printer and will continue to ship bi-weekly. Issues #4, #5, and #6 will be drawn by R. B. Silva and issues #7, #8, and #9 will be drawn by Ken Lashley. A permanent replacement artist will be assigned to ‘X-Men Gold’ in the coming weeks.
- No, The X-Men Don't Torture The Head Of The Heritage Think Tank
- Marvel Didn't Do It, Fake Defenders Image Implies Jessica Jones As Evil Jew
- Well That Was Quick. X-Men Gold #2 Brings Back The Politics... (SPOILERS)
- "Marvel Is Owned By Disney. When Jews Are Offended, There Is No Mercy" - Ardian Syaf On His Dismissal From Marvel
- Marvel Comics Presents: The Time Namor Got Political About Pollution in 1989 - October 21, 2018
- Uncanny X-Men: Everything We Know About the Relaunch So Far [X-ual Healing 10-17-18] - October 21, 2018
- Jean Grey Gets Weird With Nightcrawler in X-Men Red #9 Preview - October 19, 2018
- Would Thor Make a Good Loki? A Preview of What If? Thor #1 - October 19, 2018
- Improbable Previews: An HR Violation for the Mutant Liberation Front in Uncanny X-Men #1 - October 19, 2018