In a press release sent out to their second tier media partners, Marvel Comics announced today that it will make a special appearance on first tier media partner ABC’s Good Morning America show on Friday, May 5, the day before Free Comic Book Day. The press release doesn’t mention which exciting Marvel personalities will appear on the show, but we do know that they’ll be promoting “all the fun that will be made available within participating nationwide comic shops on Free Comic Book Day, Saturday, May 6th.” Will hosts Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, Michael Strahan, and Lara Spencer be shocked to learn that Captain America is now a proponent of fascism? You weren’t expecting that, were you, Robin Roberts? No. You weren’t.
On the other hand, the appearance will essentially serve as a national advertisement for Free Comic Book Day, the day before Free Comic Book Day, which should probably be short enough even for ABC viewers to remember it. Marvel’s FCBD offerings will include a Secret Empire/Spectacular Spider-Man book and a Guardians of the Galaxy/Defenders book, highlighting their super-mega-crossover event of the Summer, two comics which have movies out this year (Guardians of the Galaxy that weekend, in fact), and one which emulates their next Netflix series. If Marvel does a good job explaining to regular people how to find a comic book shop and convincing them to actually go inside one, this could be one of those rare times that the comic book industry actually successfully markets itself to people who aren’t already comic book readers.
Best behavior on May 6, people! We’ve got a lot riding on this.
- Stan Sakai Named Inaugural Joe Kubert Award Winner By Comic Con Revolution, Kubert School - May 20, 2018
- X-ual Healing: Cable #157, Continuity Porn Even a New Reader Can Enjoy - May 19, 2018
- X-ual Healing: Acanti Sky-Whales, Brood-Wolves, and Flying Brood-Sharks, Oh My, in Weapon H #3 - May 19, 2018
- X-ual Healing – A Heel Turn for Weapon X in Hunt for Wolverine: The Claws of a Killer #1 - May 19, 2018
- Hasbro Trademarks the Smell of Play-Doh - May 19, 2018