Earlier this week, Bleeding Cool ran an extensive article about Marvel bringing back the digital codes for physical comics that people had bought, but doing it on a customer by customer and shop by shop basis. Hand-crafted digital codes, as it were.
That was the first shoe dropping.
Here comes a second shoe.
Beginning the week of May the third, with the release of Secret Empire #1, the “buy physical get digital” codes are back for everyone. Not only that but you will also get a free digital comic from their backline that may promote a current trade paperback.
Marvel withdrew the BPGD code in favour of three such classic comics, which caused a storm of protest from readers and retailers, which led to their individual attempts to pacify them one by one.
“We heard the message loud and clear on Digital same issue codes,” said David Gabriel, SVP Sales & Marketing. “We heard how folks across the world were using them, relying on them, loving them. We are always looking to do what’s best for fans and the comics industry so we’re pleased to make this program even better. Now, print comics readers will receive a code for the issue they purchased, and also an additional bonus comic giving customers even more value for their purchase.”
- DC to Put Foil on Their Covers in October for DC Icons Month - July 20, 2018
- 6 Out of 10 San Diego Comic-Con Attendees Have Never Been to a Comic Shop – The Diamond Retailer Lunch - July 20, 2018
- Preview: Heroes in Crisis #1 by Tom King, Clay Mann, and Mitch Gerads - July 20, 2018
- What Happens at the Skybound Afterparty Stays at the Skybound Afterparty - July 20, 2018
- A New Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog Story by Joss Whedon for 10th Anniversary - July 20, 2018