Marvel has revealed the final two characters from the teaser image released a few days ago for a new X-Force comic. Throwing a curveball fans’ way, the comic will not actually be called X-Force, but Astonishing X-Men, as decided during a typical Marvel creative summit exercise where pros put on a blindfold, spin around until they’re dizzy, and then try to pin a donkey tail onto a random adjective, a process which is actually far more complex than the one by which they come up with ideas for super-mega-crossover events.
Charles Soule, the legendary hero who killed Wolverine, will write the project, and the art will materialize, fully formed, from thin air. Wait, sorry, scratch that, Axel Alonso says in a Marvel.com feature that Soule’s “collaborators” will be announced at a later date, and it sounds like the book might feature a rotating art team. Soule says that the book will both serve as a jumping on point for new readers, and that history will play a big role.
“The book is designed to tell a very focused, specific story, with a few cool main villains,I’m writing it like a puzzle box, with new layers and reveals opening up every issue,” Soule said. “So, you’ll never know exactly where it’s going to go next – but the structure is built in such a way that almost anything from the long, incredible history of the X-Men can pop up.”
Here’s the description of the book from Marvel:
Old Man Logan, Archangel, Mystique, Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke and Fantomex. Together, they are the Astonishing X-Men. But what brings this eclectic collection of heroes together? A familiar menace has once again reared its ugly head – reborn, renewed and resurrected. To defeat one of their greatest foes and rescue one of their own, the X-Men’s greatest will assemble for a mission that will take them places you never thought they’d go!
That familiar menace? Low comic book sales.
Astonishing X-Men #1 hits stores in July. Now we wait for the new main Star Wars title to be announced.
- Netflix Signs Adam Sandler To New Four Movie Deal, Valiantly Keeping Him Out Of Movie Theaters - March 25, 2017
- A New Ghostbusters Film, And Thus, Hopefully, More Ecto Cooler, Could Arrive As Soon As 2019 - March 25, 2017
- WWE Superstar Kane Running For Mayor Of Knox County, Tennessee As Wrestlers Seize More Political Power - March 25, 2017
- Lego Batman Causes Trouble For Trump Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin - March 25, 2017
- Writers Guild Of America Reportedly Breaks Off Negotiations, Requests Strike Authorization From Members - March 25, 2017