At her spotlight panel at Emerald City Comic Con, Ant-Man star Evangeline Lilly was asked about her role in the film, as the very first fan question, of course. Lilly said that she was considering retiring from acting after LOST, until Peter Jackson offered her a great role in the Hobbit trilogy. She might have retired from acting again after that, but then something else happened.
“Then Edgar Wright called me,” Lilly recalled. However, at the time, she wasn’t familiar with the Marvel cinematic universe. “The only marvel film I’d seen at that time was Iron Man, and I didn’t even know it was a Marvel film. So I was like, I don’t want to do a stupid superhero movie.”
Lilly braced for boos, but quickly recovered, saying she was excited to work with Wright. (Wright eventually left the project over creative differences, but Lilly stayed on.)
“And Paul Rudd, which makes it even cooler,” she added. “Who casts Paul Rudd as a superhero? Nobody. So I was like, I gotta check out these Marvel guys and see what they’re up to, and apparently they were up to really cool ****.”
And then, she totally made up for the earlier Marvel slight with a focused shot at rival DC Comics.
“How have I missed these guys who are making really cool superheroes who don’t take themselves too seriously,” Lilly said of Marvel, before calling out an example of the opposite: “DC films.”
Ooooooooooohhhhhhh! Massive, well-deserved cheers were basked in, and a salacious article was written.
As Evangeline Lilly explained, “now a year from now I get to put on a wasp costume and buzz around” when Ant-Man and The Wasp hits theaters on July 6, 2018.
- Luc Besson’s EuropaCorp Buys Rights To Howard Chaykin’s American Flagg For TV Show - September 25, 2017
- Violent Live Performance Stuns Crowd At Fantastic Fest Screening Of ‘The Square’ - September 25, 2017
- Quint, Capone, And Horrorella Step Down From Ain’t It Cool News In Wake Of Harry Knowles Sexual Assault Allegations - September 25, 2017
- Jonathan Hickman Returning To Marvel “Sooner Than You Think,” Says Tom Brevoort - September 25, 2017
- Fantastic Fest Attendees Disturbed By Secret Screening Of Lost Ed Wood Porno ‘Take It Out In Trade’ - September 25, 2017