At her spotlight panel at Emerald City Comic Con, Ant-Man star Evangeline Lilly was asked about her role in the film, as the very first fan question, of course. Lilly said that she was considering retiring from acting after LOST, until Peter Jackson offered her a great role in the Hobbit trilogy. She might have retired from acting again after that, but then something else happened.
“Then Edgar Wright called me,” Lilly recalled. However, at the time, she wasn’t familiar with the Marvel cinematic universe. “The only marvel film I’d seen at that time was Iron Man, and I didn’t even know it was a Marvel film. So I was like, I don’t want to do a stupid superhero movie.”
Lilly braced for boos, but quickly recovered, saying she was excited to work with Wright. (Wright eventually left the project over creative differences, but Lilly stayed on.)
“And Paul Rudd, which makes it even cooler,” she added. “Who casts Paul Rudd as a superhero? Nobody. So I was like, I gotta check out these Marvel guys and see what they’re up to, and apparently they were up to really cool ****.”
And then, she totally made up for the earlier Marvel slight with a focused shot at rival DC Comics.
“How have I missed these guys who are making really cool superheroes who don’t take themselves too seriously,” Lilly said of Marvel, before calling out an example of the opposite: “DC films.”
Ooooooooooohhhhhhh! Massive, well-deserved cheers were basked in, and a salacious article was written.
As Evangeline Lilly explained, “now a year from now I get to put on a wasp costume and buzz around” when Ant-Man and The Wasp hits theaters on July 6, 2018.
- Get Your First Look At Origin Of Wonder Woman’s Brother, Jason Woman, In Wonder Woman #35 Preview - November 20, 2017
- Blue Beetle Confirmed To Be Cancelled With DC February Solicitations - November 20, 2017
- DC To Collect Trina Robbins And Kurt Busiek’s Legends Of Wonder Woman, As Amazon Snubs Robbins - November 20, 2017
- Lizzy Caplan Supposedly In Talks For Supposed Role In Channing Tatum’s Supposed Gambit Movie - November 20, 2017
- Wolverine Starting To Ramp Up Guest Appearance Schedule Ahead Of 2018 Return - November 20, 2017