Laurence Fishburne played Perry White in both Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, but we won’t see him in the upcoming Justice League. In fact, he seems to find the idea that he might baffling. Asked if he’ll be in the film during an interview with the LA Times, Fishburne said that he was asked to do a one-day shoot, but was ultimately unable to make it work in his schedule. However, he wondered why they would even want him to in the first place, saying:
They asked me to come for a day, but I couldn’t work it out, schedule-wise. And really, what do you need the newspaperman in “Justice League” for? You want to see the Flash. You want to see Aquaman. You want to see Wonder Woman. You want to see the Lantern.
Fishburne elaborated, laying a pretty harsh beatdown on the DCEU’s performance:
We’ve been waiting 35 years for these [characters] to show up on the screen. What were they doing over there? Marvel has been kicking their ass. This is the comic-book geek in me, who has a collection of comic books. I’ve been waiting to see these people on-screen forever.
But Fishburne walked things back slightly a moment later, praising director Zack Snyder:
Look, I love what Zack Snyder does. Jesse Eisenberg, this little nebbishy guy, as Lex Luthor? For me, that’s a genius move. And the whole thing with Martha Kent and Martha Wayne? I don’t know, man, I must be sentimental but that’s some heartwarming [stuff] to me. So I don’t get it.
That’s right, Laurence Fishburne enjoyed the “Martha” scene, so much that of all scenes in the movie, that’s the one he brought up in its defense. Because of course he did. Fishburne, after all, starred in the The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, two sequels to 1999’s The Matrix that you’ve hopefully blocked completely out of your mind.
- Could Peter Capaldi Regenerate Into Olivia Colman On Doctor Who? David Tennant Doesn’t Think So - June 26, 2017
- What Is Black Mask Hiding In No Angel #4? Plus: Previews Of The Dregs #4 And The Forevers #4 - June 25, 2017
- Amy Pascal Now Claims She Meant Spider-Man Spinoffs Were In Marvel Comics Universe, Not Marvel Cinematic Universe - June 25, 2017
- Transformers: The Last Knight Made $60 Million More In China Than It Did In The U.S. - June 25, 2017
- IDW Is Making A Legend Of Korra Pro Bending Tabletop Game, More LoK Games To Come - June 25, 2017