Laurence Fishburne played Perry White in both Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, but we won’t see him in the upcoming Justice League. In fact, he seems to find the idea that he might baffling. Asked if he’ll be in the film during an interview with the LA Times, Fishburne said that he was asked to do a one-day shoot, but was ultimately unable to make it work in his schedule. However, he wondered why they would even want him to in the first place, saying:
They asked me to come for a day, but I couldn’t work it out, schedule-wise. And really, what do you need the newspaperman in “Justice League” for? You want to see the Flash. You want to see Aquaman. You want to see Wonder Woman. You want to see the Lantern.
Fishburne elaborated, laying a pretty harsh beatdown on the DCEU’s performance:
We’ve been waiting 35 years for these [characters] to show up on the screen. What were they doing over there? Marvel has been kicking their ass. This is the comic-book geek in me, who has a collection of comic books. I’ve been waiting to see these people on-screen forever.
But Fishburne walked things back slightly a moment later, praising director Zack Snyder:
Look, I love what Zack Snyder does. Jesse Eisenberg, this little nebbishy guy, as Lex Luthor? For me, that’s a genius move. And the whole thing with Martha Kent and Martha Wayne? I don’t know, man, I must be sentimental but that’s some heartwarming [stuff] to me. So I don’t get it.
That’s right, Laurence Fishburne enjoyed the “Martha” scene, so much that of all scenes in the movie, that’s the one he brought up in its defense. Because of course he did. Fishburne, after all, starred in the The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, two sequels to 1999’s The Matrix that you’ve hopefully blocked completely out of your mind.
- After Avengers: Infinity War… Avengers: Infinity Gauntlet?! - April 24, 2017
- Is Matthew Rosenberg Angling For Job As The Next Thor Variant Cover Artist? - April 24, 2017
- Dressage Update: Ahead Of Filming Rampage Movie, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson Visits Ranch For Horseplay - April 24, 2017
- “What Might I Call You?” Some Takeaways From American Gods’ First Episode. The Bone Orchard - April 24, 2017
- Jeremy Whitley Responds To Frank Cho’s Unstoppable Wasp Blank Sketch Variant, Or Just Luke Cage Talking About Butts - April 24, 2017