Superman is getting a new costume redesign. Again. And, as has been traditional (since 2011 at least), he doesn’t have the red shorts. The trunks. The underpants. Whatever you want to call them. Modeled on a strongman’s costume in the nineteen thirties, they have in recent decades been described as “wearing underpants over your trousers” and have been a source of ribaldry.
So even the recent DC Rebirth that brought back certain discarded aspects of the DC Universe mythos, didn’t extend that to include the red trunks. Not even in the Pre-52 version of the character
Some people have been up in arms about this, as if it is a crime against humanity, Indeed, Dan DiDio, co-publisher of DC Comics, was targeted with messages such at this on Facebook;
Along with this kind of imagery,
It’s not every day you are basically accused of being a Nazi. Oh wait, sorry, this is the internet, it is every day. And this fellow was vociferous – until he was banned.
But in his absence Babylon 5 creator and writer of the Superman “Grounded” arc, J Michael Straczynski was good at impersonations…
- Suicide Squad Has A Brand New Leader. But Amanda Waller Is Going To Make You Wait. - June 28, 2017
- DC Comics Allows Dark Nights: Metal #1 To Go On Sale From Midnight On Tuesday, August 15th - June 28, 2017
- Batman #24 Goes To Fourth Print For Marriage Proposal. #25 Goes To Second Print - June 28, 2017
- Preview Of Shirtless Bear-Fighter #2 Brings You… The Hillbilly Warlock - June 28, 2017
- So This Is Why They Call It “The Mount” – Sex Lives Of The Superheroes In Occupy Avengers #8 - June 28, 2017