Superman is getting a new costume redesign. Again. And, as has been traditional (since 2011 at least), he doesn’t have the red shorts. The trunks. The underpants. Whatever you want to call them. Modeled on a strongman’s costume in the nineteen thirties, they have in recent decades been described as “wearing underpants over your trousers” and have been a source of ribaldry.
So even the recent DC Rebirth that brought back certain discarded aspects of the DC Universe mythos, didn’t extend that to include the red trunks. Not even in the Pre-52 version of the character
Some people have been up in arms about this, as if it is a crime against humanity, Indeed, Dan DiDio, co-publisher of DC Comics, was targeted with messages such at this on Facebook;
Along with this kind of imagery,
It’s not every day you are basically accused of being a Nazi. Oh wait, sorry, this is the internet, it is every day. And this fellow was vociferous – until he was banned.
But in his absence Babylon 5 creator and writer of the Superman “Grounded” arc, J Michael Straczynski was good at impersonations…
- Gerry Duggan and Mike Deodato, Creative Team for Infinite Countdown Prime #1 in February 2018 - December 13, 2017
- A Music Video Trailer for ML Miller and James Michael Whynot’s Gravetrancers #1, Out Today - December 13, 2017
- In Today’s Amazing Spider-Man #793, Ryan Stegman Does His Best Todd McFarlane Impersonation to Date - December 13, 2017
- Durham Red and Chopper Return to 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine - December 13, 2017
- The Making of a Fascist Batman in Today’s Detective Comics #970 (SPOILERS) - December 13, 2017