Tiger Mask W is a new anime series, launched in October of 2016, that follows up on the Tiger Mask manga series by Ikki Kajiwara and Naoki Tsuji, which itself inspired a real life pro wrestler called Tiger Mask, leading New Japan Pro Wrestling to launch a new Tiger Mask W wrestler (played by Kota Ibushi) to coincide with Toei’s launch of the new Tiger Mask W anime. Still keeping up? Okay, good. You can explain it to us later.
Anyway, Tiger Mask W has revealed some new characters on Twitter:
— アニメ「タイガーマスクW」公式 (@TigerMaskW) January 6, 2017
Translated poorly by Twitter, that roughly reads:
[Introduction of new characters! : Tomorrow 1/7 (Saturday) late-night broadcasts from 4: 30 ofactive in the 13-episode professional wrestler! Sheltered look good in blonde Queen (VOICED by: Ai Maeda) and red hair Petite wrestler pane (CV: AI Nagano), show us what fight?! Stay tuned!
As noticed by astute wredditors at /r/SquaredCircle, those two new characters…
…appear to bear a resemblance to two of WWE’s most popular superstars, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch:
Of course, here in the column formerly known as Swipe File, Bleeding Cool cannot possibly say whether Tiger Mask W is inspired by these real life wrestlers. You can, however, by voting in the poll and telling us if this is a Swipe, Homage, or Coincidence!
Separated At Birth: Tiger Mask W And WWE's Charlotte Flair And Becky Lynch - Swipe, Homage, Or Coincidence?
- Batman Interrogates Bruce Wayne in Wednesday’s Batman #61 - December 17, 2018
- A New Origin for Aquaman in DeConnick and Rocha’s Aquaman #43? - December 17, 2018
- Like a Millennial, Marvel’s Jordan White Ghosts on #XMenMonday - December 17, 2018
- Exiles No More! Series to End with January’s Exiles #12 - December 17, 2018
- TMNT FCBD Solicit Reveals Details on Turtles’ 100th Issue Plans, Teases Possible Death - December 17, 2018