The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund has joined the the National Coalition Against Censorship this week in issuing a statement regarding calls to boycott all books from publisher Simon & Schuster after one of its imprints announced the upcoming release of Dangerous, a memoir by Breitbart writer and alt-right darling Milo Yiannopoulos.
The statement supports the right to boycott a book or other product for any reason, but also warns that “the suppression of noxious ideas does not defeat them; only vigorous disagreement can counter toxic speech. Shutting down the conversation may temporarily silence disfavored views, but does nothing to prevent them from spreading and resurfacing in other ways.”
Yiannopoulos’ book Dangerous is to be published by Simon & Schuster imprint Threshold Editions, which specializes in books by conservative authors, including Rush Limbaugh, Dick Cheney and Glenn Beck.
The NCAC statement makes the point that “publishers and writers need the freedom to express and disseminate ideas, even if they are controversial and offensive to some. We need not endorse the ideas contained in a book to endorse the right to express them.”
CBLDF and the other signatories to the statement — American Booksellers Association, Association of American Publishers, Authors Guild, Freedom to Read Foundation, Index on Censorship, and the National Council of Teachers of English — therefore strongly support Simon & Schuster’s right to publish any book under any of its 35 imprints, just as we strongly support critics’ right to respond verbally, through social media or in print.
You can read the full statement in support of Simon & Schuster below.
- Full Image Comics September 2018 Solicitations – Launching Bully Wars, Man-Eaters, MCMLXXV, Burnouts, Cemetery Beach and OGNs Green Monk, HCHOM, Me The People and My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies - June 19, 2018
- The X-Men Gold #30 Wedding Twist Was Not Marc Guggenheim’s Idea (SPOILERS) - June 19, 2018
- Exclusive: Gallery 13 Grab Stephen King’s The Dark Tower Graphic Novel Rights from Marvel - June 19, 2018
- Marvel, DC and Others Persuade Comic Stores to Put Spinner Racks in Other Businesses - June 19, 2018
- Chris Hastings and Salva Espin do Deadpool as James Bond For Digital-First Comic, Secret Agent Deadpool - June 19, 2018