Superstar artist Leinil Yu will not be returning to Marvel’s IVX super-mega-crossover event until its final issue in March, Bleeding Cool has learned. Artist Javier Garron will handle art for IVX #4 and #5, in addition to IVX #3, as listed in Marvel’s January solicitations.
Earlier this week, we joked about some penciled pages for Inhumans vs. X-Men showed off by Marvel.com from Leinil Yu. We said that Yu had better hurry up and color the pages, lest the super-mega-crossover event be delayed, as super-mega-crossover events can tend to be, even though it was obvious that the pages were meant to show Yu’s pencil work, not indicate that the pages weren’t complete. We were just joking… but apparently we were still on to something! (Pip pip.)
After being tipped off by little bleeder nielsvaneekelen in the comments of that article, we checked Marvel’s January solicitations and confirmed that Yu will not be drawing IVX #3, with Javier Garron filling in instead.
IVX #3 (of 6)
CHARLES SOULE & JEFF LEMIRE (W) • JAVIER GARRÓN (A)
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
Variant Cover by MICHAEL CHO
Variant Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
Inhumans Variant Cover by TERRY DODSON
X-Men Variant Cover by ARDIAN SYAF
• New Attilan is conquered. Medusa and her generals are being held prisoner as the X-Men prepare to cleanse the world of the Terrigen Cloud.
• Could this be the end of Inhuman progeny?
• Now, the only hope for the Inhuman legacy rests in the hands of an unlikely crew of young Inhumans.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
Was this a single-issue change, or a permanent one? A little of both. We reached out to Marvel for comment, and were informed:
February solicits will be released next Tuesday with issues #4 and #5. Those will also be solicited with Javier Garron on art. Leinil will be back for the finale, issue #6.
So Leinil Yu is technically only drawing half of Inhumans vs. X-Men, with Javier Garron on the other half. While an artist switch for half the book might seem a little alarming, it’s worth nothing that Ron Lim took over for George Perez for half of the issues of Infinity Gauntlet, and it’s one of the most fondly remembered super-mega-crossover events of all time. Perhaps Marvel is trying to replicate that formula.
- Carnage Set for Return in Web of Venom: Carnage Born - August 15, 2018
- Senators Elizabeth Warren and Brian Schatz Demand Investigation Into Marvel’s Ike Perlmutter, “Mar-a-Lago Cronies” Over VA Influence - August 15, 2018
- DC to Make Waves with Justice League/Aquaman Drowned Earth Crossover in November - August 15, 2018
- Randy Orton Appears on WWE SmackDown Live Despite Company Investigating Sexual Harassment Allegations - August 15, 2018
- LA Comic Con and Women’s Wrestling Organization WOW Team Up for AXS TV Taping in October - August 15, 2018