Futurists artist Mitch Breitweiser is known for drawing the Star Spangled Avenger, but it was an artistic tribute to a different sort of American icon that caused him sorrow on social media this week. Following the election victory of Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton, Breitweiser made the following tweet, congratulating Trump on the win and wishing him success:
— Mitch Breitweiser 👊💥 (@mbreitweiser) November 9, 2016
The reaction was probably not what he expected:
at least I know who to unfollow
— Christian Ward (@cjwardart) November 9, 2016
— Dan McDaid (@danmcdaid) November 9, 2016
Two days later, and it seems the tweet had led to the loss of a significant number of Breitweiser’s comics pro friends, leading him to lament:
Flabbergasted that so many peers that I thought were my friends have left over a difference of opinion. Self-deportation really does work.
— Mitch Breitweiser 👊💥 (@mbreitweiser) November 11, 2016
Chew artist Rob Guillory, however, seems to sticking around:
Pride would rather walk away than possibly see one's own error, I think.
— Rob Guillory (@Rob_guillory) November 11, 2016
It looks like we can count on Mitch Breitweiser to visit conventions in red states, which may be looking to fill some vacancies over the next four years. If you see him at one, well, it sounds like he could use a hug.
- There’s a Major Continuity Error in Archie’s Latest Comic - September 21, 2018
- With Great Power Comes… A Makeout Session With Mary Jane?! Amazing Spider-Man #6 Preview - September 21, 2018
- Chelsea Cain Learns About the Censorship of the Batpenis and She Isn’t Happy About It - September 21, 2018
- Daredevil #609-#612 Will Be The Death of Daredevil - September 21, 2018
- Civics Lessons from The Maestro in Old Man Logan #48 Preview - September 21, 2018