It was announced the other day that Marvel Comics is to put out a final ninth issue of Secret Wars in December.
The final eighth issue was meant to be out the first week of October, but as the sixth has slipped to mid September. We could presume that the seventh will now be out in October and the eighth in November, and indeed that seems to be what is happening. Plans for the final issue of Secret Wars to come out on the say day as Invincible Iron Man #1, the first issue of the All-New All-Different Marvel relaunch have been thoroughly scuppered.
So what extra story are we getting? And when? Well… we might not be. Not an entire issue’s worth.
Secret Wars #7 is dropping from 56 pages to 40 pages and from $4.99 to $3.99 and published on the 28th October.
Meanwhile Secret Wars #8 is is doing the same and is published on the 25th November.
That’s 32 pages gone. Which will, it seems, help make up the story of Secret Wars #9. You save two dollars on issues 7 and 8 – and then have to spend an extra $3.99 or $4.99 on issue 9….
“Apparently, Secret Wars is even bigger than we thought it was,” says Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “To help Jonathan and Esad conclude this epic event as big and bombastically as it started, we are adding an extra issue.”
And cutting back on the previous two… as Tom Brevoort says,
Jonathan’s first draft of issue #7 was in excess of 40 pages in length. So we’re effectively breaking what would have been #7 in half as #7 and #8, and then what would have been #8 will now be #9.
The other question is… has #8 been written (or rewritten or rerewritten) yet? I’m hearing, thanks to various machinations behind the scenes, not entirely…
- From East Asian to Caucasian – Psylocke Switches Back on Wednesday - August 17, 2018
- Court Places 3-Year Restraining Order on Keya Morgan to Stay Away from Stan Lee - August 17, 2018
- All The Reasons Batman’s Atheism Doesn’t Make Sense – and One That Does - August 17, 2018
- Comixology Bestseller List – 17th August 2018 – Batman, Justice League, and WicDiv Top Chart - August 17, 2018
- The Ugly Side of Comics: The Golden Age – Michael Davis, From The Edge - August 17, 2018