It was announced the other day that Marvel Comics is to put out a final ninth issue of Secret Wars in December.
The final eighth issue was meant to be out the first week of October, but as the sixth has slipped to mid September. We could presume that the seventh will now be out in October and the eighth in November, and indeed that seems to be what is happening. Plans for the final issue of Secret Wars to come out on the say day as Invincible Iron Man #1, the first issue of the All-New All-Different Marvel relaunch have been thoroughly scuppered.
So what extra story are we getting? And when? Well… we might not be. Not an entire issue’s worth.
Secret Wars #7 is dropping from 56 pages to 40 pages and from $4.99 to $3.99 and published on the 28th October.
Meanwhile Secret Wars #8 is is doing the same and is published on the 25th November.
That’s 32 pages gone. Which will, it seems, help make up the story of Secret Wars #9. You save two dollars on issues 7 and 8 – and then have to spend an extra $3.99 or $4.99 on issue 9….
“Apparently, Secret Wars is even bigger than we thought it was,” says Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “To help Jonathan and Esad conclude this epic event as big and bombastically as it started, we are adding an extra issue.”
And cutting back on the previous two… as Tom Brevoort says,
Jonathan’s first draft of issue #7 was in excess of 40 pages in length. So we’re effectively breaking what would have been #7 in half as #7 and #8, and then what would have been #8 will now be #9.
The other question is… has #8 been written (or rewritten or rerewritten) yet? I’m hearing, thanks to various machinations behind the scenes, not entirely…
- Filip Sablik and Ross Richie Address ComicsPRO on BOOM! Studios as a Premier Publisher at Diamond - February 23, 2018
- Publishing Dates for DC Zoom and DC Ink Titles Locked Down - February 23, 2018
- Dynamite Entertainment to Become a Premier Publisher at Diamond Comics (CONFIRMED) - February 23, 2018
- Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat to Adapt Own Doctor Who Episodes as Target Novelisations - February 23, 2018
- Return of Bruce Banner Hulk in Avengers #684 Tops Advance Reorders - February 23, 2018