John Constantine, when introduced into the DC Universe, was a rare creature. One who aged in real time. Since his introduction in the early eighties, he went on to get old. To celebrate his birthdays. And to marry someone far too young. His time on this earth was marked, including his time as a punk rock performer in the mid/late seventies in the band Mucous Membrane. Like this.
The thing is, the character has since been rebooted and revamped as a younger, sexier John Constantine again. And is getting a new treatment in the DC YOU title John Constantine: The Hellblazer #1, with a short story in the back of today’s Convergence: SHAZAM! #2.
Even if it does also seem to borrow from a certain Jack Black “pick of destiny”… but at the back of this dingy underground New York performance space, that inexplicably hasn’t yet been turned into apartments, is a poster, of a different time.
But that’s when it hit me. Constantine is no longer in real time. This isn’t a poster from the seventies anymore. And if Constantine is a twenty-something again now… then Mucous Membrane aren’t no longer a punk a band formed after seeing the Sex Pistols play like these folks…
They are a version of this instead.
- More DC Comics Move From 20 to 22 Pages For $3.99 With Aquaman and Justice League Joining In - October 16, 2018
- Dan Slott Applies to Trademark a Comic Book Called ‘Future Me’ - October 16, 2018
- Details On The ‘King-Size’ Kirby Is Fantastic Hardcover From Marvel Comics – The First of Many - October 16, 2018
- Galactus Comes to the Fantastic Four in January - October 16, 2018
- Full Catalog For BOOM! Studios January 2019 Solicitations – Brings Buffy to the Yard With the Avant-Guards - October 16, 2018